Cfl or tube uvb & cf or c.b.b

Mikael

I am hopefully soon getting some pygmys I have a 20 gal long setup for 3 brevs. I want to know shoudl I get cfls or tube uvb because I have 2 fixtures for 2 cfl bulbs or should I get a new fixture for a tube I would get a 5.0 and let it burn for a couple of days. There are 2 sites I am looking at lllreptile and reptilepetsdirect direct lll has cf and reptilepetsdirect has cbb I want the cbb ones but they are gonna be ready in about 2 months and if I get a trio that I will breed I will not want to accidentally inbreed while as if I go with lll I can get them soon and then try to breed them. Thanks for the info!

I don't think it matters what type of bulb you use really. As long as your temps don't get too high & the enclosure has plenty of cover & shady spots. Any type/make will do, as long as it's reliable. Lots of pygmy keepers don't provide any uv & don't appear to have any problems. As i said, temps & humidity are much more important & should influence the type of lighting you provide.
Imo, definitely wait for the CB ones. The CF ones are almost 100% likely to be WC.

I use used 5.0 CFL Reptisun bulbs on mine, as well as some LED lights for the plants. They add the light the plants need without giving off too much heat.

I highly recommend using UVB with pygmies. They do not need a lot of UVB but they 100% do need to have some UVB.

As for the bulb it is up to you what type but I would recommend raising them off the top of the cage so they do not over heat the cage.

Unless you have experience with WC I would not recommend getting any as they will more than likely die within a short period of time. I would wait till you can find CB babies.

I highly recommend using UVB with pygmies. They do not need a lot of UVB but they 100% do need to have some UVB.

Mmmm, Have to disagree with this statement! As it's not proven to be true, that they require uv.
Although i personally provide uv. I know of experienced keepers/breeders, that have kept & bred pygmies, without any uv. Alongside some kept with uv & have not noticed a difference. Personally i think it's more important to provide a correct & varied diet & vit supplements.

Back
Top Bottom