Ceramic Planters Inside Chameleon enclosure?

Not trying to be harsh in any way but rather to help!

Powdered lead paint is occasional, but it is generally ingestion of tiny rocks or sand that have veins of metal in them (almost all do). Picking up flecks of metal from the floor or remote control or other solder, and yes, use of glazed crocks which do not have to chipped to leach out the lead.
I gotcha and see where you're coming from. If I saw animals poisoned often, I'd be concerned too.

And I didn't mean to come off rude, it's good to learn from these kind of things. Just seemed like people were piling on OP lol.

It is your cage do what you want to do. A very good friend of mine uses clay pots in all her cham cages on the bottom because it does help soak up water. She does not hang them though. I put a ton of weight on my DS cage and ledges. I will tell you it has to be done right. You have to be able to totally hook in the pots correctly or your going to have issues. Doing two anchor points from branches to the pot and a supporting branch below the pot to help hold the weight. Anchored with strong zip ties which would be hell to try to do with a clay pot since you can not easily drill holes in for them to anchor. Falling clay pots is gonna be the risk.

But best of luck to you. DS has some great info on how to get the most out of your ledges. I would give that a read. It is super helpful.

Last edited:
It is your cage do what you want to do. A very good friend of mine uses clay pots in all her cham cages on the bottom because it does help soak up water. She does not hang them though. I put a ton of weight on my DS cage and ledges. I will tell you it has to be done right. You have to be able to totally hook in the pots correctly or your going to have issues. Doing two anchor points from branches to the pot and a supporting branch below the pot to help hold the weight. Anchored with strong zip ties which would be hell to try to do with a clay pot since you can not easily drill holes in for them to anchor. Falling clay pots is gonna be the risk.

But best of luck to you. DS has some great info on how to get the most out of your ledges. I would give that a read. It is super helpful.
Thank you! I decided against hanging any because you can’t see them very well with all of the plants I have inside. But this is a more appreciated attitude! Thank you so much.

I am not sure why you would do this... You want the pots to drain they need to. You also do not need bacteria or mold growing between the pot and a liner... Then there are the gases that most plastics put off. Ever opened a brand new plastic shower curtain? Not a great smell to inhale.
If you are wanting them to be esthetically pleasing look into great stuff pond foam. Do the pot in a pot method. With your anchored pot foam it in so it does not show drop in the plant into that.
I appreciate you’re feedback but I don’t mind taking the extra time and care to wash things thoroughly. I invested thousands of dollars into the chameleon and it’s home and I’m willing to take the extra time and work to make it fabulous.

I’ll experiment with it.
plastic is fine but so boring and not aesthetically appealing.
I’ll just have to get creative!
You can attach mosses to the outside to add to the visual appeal and make humidity pockets in a round about way... I have about 15 plants in my enclosure using the method listed above with nursery plastic planters they are light and workable bendable / crushable to fit in the spot you want them.

When I started I kept potted plants on the floor but quickly got away from it cause it's a p.i.t.a. to get big plants out of the cage to clean things when you have lots of branches and other little avenues for climbing.

I’m thinking completely concealing them in a vinyl sort of plastic wrap 🧐
Then what's the point of ceramic pots? You can cover plastic as easily.

IME, clay pots leach salts from soil & plant foods/fertilizer that builds up on the rims & outsides.
IDK if they'd be toxic to chameleons, so I use plastic pots & planters.

Plastic pots can be more attractive than they used to be.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dec...VIFVkFHQ9YBCMQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1024&bih=625

Back
Top Bottom