Cats and chameleons

Interestingly, my dog also barks at my chameleon. I was very worried about the stress that my chameleon has. Fortunately, I found a solution: I used an ultrasonic anti-light. It really effectively reduces stop dog barking device without causing any harm. This may be slightly different from the cat situation, but I thought it might be helpful for those looking for dog issues.

Hiya, I have discussed early and have got the bearded dragon. The cats at first were very interested, but honestly now don't care very much. They are indoor so don't have such a high prey drive. Is the chameleon still really not a possibility, or does it just depend on the chameleons personality. Not planning om rushing into buying one anytime soon. Mabye in the far future?
I do not think you need to specifically refrain from getting a chameleon because you have cats.

However, you do need to control the situation. IMO, and I am overly cautious, you do not want your cats to really ever be in the same room as your chameleon. Regardless of how well you know your own cats, how long they've lived indoors, or even if they only lived indoors, their prey drive will always be very high. They will always have a natural instinct to be curious.

Cats are particularly dangerous to a chameleon because they'll likely be attracted to the slight movements of the chameleon (especially when the chameleon moves faster to retreat from the cat), and the cat doesn't have to touch the chameleon to be a danger.

We keep our chameleons in all screen enclosures (mostly). So, even if your cat can't get inside the enclosure, they can easily climb and jump on them. most of these enclosures are VERY light. So if a cat jumped on a screen on one, I'd be willing to be it'll fall over. which will almost certainly do serious damage to your chameleon, despite the stress it'll cause, assuming it survives that fall. Not to mention the mess that'll be made.

Chameleons stress SUPER easily. So even if your enclosure is a 'tank' and can withstand a cat climbing on it's sides....... your chameleon will be severely stressed by having such a large animal climbing on it's enclosure. Especially if they get to the top. Which they likely will.

My advice would be to proceed with getting a chameleon, if you want, but be VERY cautious an do not give cats access to the chameleon, AT ALL.

1) Find a secure place in your house where your cats absolutely can not enter
2) build the enclosure and set it all up, including sticks, plants, lights and mister/mister+fogger, as if the chameleon was already in there.
3) have your husbandry reviewed on here to make sure it's all good and ready for your chameleon
4) then proceed with purchasing the chameleon

There are a lot of people on here who really know what they're talking about. I'm still really new, personally. But these people will help you and they're super nice. But I personally highly suggest you refrain from getting a chameleon if you can not provide a true space that is safe from the cats. In my opinion, it will almost surely end very badly for your chameleon.

I do not think you need to specifically refrain from getting a chameleon because you have cats.

However, you do need to control the situation. IMO, and I am overly cautious, you do not want your cats to really ever be in the same room as your chameleon. Regardless of how well you know your own cats, how long they've lived indoors, or even if they only lived indoors, their prey drive will always be very high. They will always have a natural instinct to be curious.

Cats are particularly dangerous to a chameleon because they'll likely be attracted to the slight movements of the chameleon (especially when the chameleon moves faster to retreat from the cat), and the cat doesn't have to touch the chameleon to be a danger.

We keep our chameleons in all screen enclosures (mostly). So, even if your cat can't get inside the enclosure, they can easily climb and jump on them. most of these enclosures are VERY light. So if a cat jumped on a screen on one, I'd be willing to be it'll fall over. which will almost certainly do serious damage to your chameleon, despite the stress it'll cause, assuming it survives that fall. Not to mention the mess that'll be made.

Chameleons stress SUPER easily. So even if your enclosure is a 'tank' and can withstand a cat climbing on it's sides....... your chameleon will be severely stressed by having such a large animal climbing on it's enclosure. Especially if they get to the top. Which they likely will.

My advice would be to proceed with getting a chameleon, if you want, but be VERY cautious an do not give cats access to the chameleon, AT ALL.

2) build the enclosure and set it all up, including sticks, plants, lights and mister/mister+fogger, as if the chameleon was already in there.
3) have your husbandry reviewed on here to make sure it's all good and ready for your chameleon

There are a lot of people on here who really know what they're talking about. I'm still really new, personally. But these people will help you and they're super nice. But I personally highly suggest you refrain from getting a chameleon if you can not provide a true space that is safe from the cats. In my opinion, it will almost surely end very badly for your chameleon.
I'd also like to mention that the only other pet I have a is a dog. My dog is extremely intelligent (anatolian shepherd mix), well trained, not just by me, but also by a professional. She pays NO attention to our chameleon at all. She couldn't care less that he is there. She is more focused on guarding us and our home.

However, despite this, when we are not home, I usually close my sons bedroom door (where the enclosure is), just because IF she goes into the room, and even if she pays him no mind....... if HE sees her, it will scare the crap out of him most likely.

She's been in the room with me sometimes when I am making adjustments or checking on him. But even then I usually tell her to go out to the other room. Just for reference.

I may be overly cautious, but IMO you need to be very cautious. These are very sensitive reptiles.

I 100% agree with this. I do not have cats myself, I have two dogs and one of my chameleons is absolutely terrified of my dogs. Needless to say, due to the stress levels of just seeing my dogs, my dogs are not allowed in my chameleon rooms. Its not worth the damage just that stress alone will cause never mind if something were to happen. A separate room is a good idea and either get some kind of baby gate or keep the room closed so the cats and chameleon cant even see each other.

When I first got her the cats were staring her down. I kept spraying them with the water bottle and they don’t pay attention to her now. We also added thicker hardware cloth to prevent any scratching. They never did anyway. The dogs don’t really care about her either. Now I have my hybrid enclosure and got a table I could fit it on. But say if I was holding her and she somehow fell, it’d be all over.

When I first got her the cats were staring her down. I kept spraying them with the water bottle and they don’t pay attention to her now. We also added thicker hardware cloth to prevent any scratching. They never did anyway. The dogs don’t really care about her either. Now I have my hybrid enclosure and got a table I could fit it on. But say if I was holding her and she somehow fell, it’d be all over.
Only hold her when the other pets aren’t around. Either go in another room or put them in another room so it couldn’t happen.

Only hold her when the other pets aren’t around. Either go in another room or put them in another room so it couldn’t happen.
Oh yes most definitely. We still aren’t at that point yet anyway, and I only want to be able to take her out to do a deep clean of the enclosure and vet visits. I tell everyone she’s a looking pet and not a touching pet😂

I can sit and watch her all day, she doesn’t enjoy that though😂
What chameleons don't know won't hurt them :D these cams are the bets of both worlds lol

1691585987012.png

So far I only have one camera so I move it to which ever chameleon I am keeping an eye on. My girl is getting ready to lay eggs so my 'chamera' has been on her for the last little bit. After she lays I'll probably have it on my Jackson's for a while just for me to enjoy watching him while I'm away.

So far I only have one camera so I move it to which ever chameleon I am keeping an eye on. My girl is getting ready to lay eggs so my 'chamera' has been on her for the last little bit. After she lays I'll probably have it on my Jackson's for a while just for me to enjoy watching him while I'm away.
I bought 2 because I wanted one for my dog. But I quickly learned it's kind of useless for her because she doesn't need that monitoring and if I try to communicate with her on it, she gets SUPER sad, starts howling, going to the door in anticipation that we are home lol so I felt bad. I removed it and I am gonna try to find a way to implement both cameras for Spikes enclosure soon.

Back
Top Bottom