Carpet laid eggs...But they're no good

Cameron B

Established Member
Hey all,
My Carpet laid some eggs in the last day or so. A couple of things...she was never showing gravid colors by herself. She would go into non-receptive colors the second I would ever introduce a male to her though and become very defensive.

I can see about 7-9 eggs that she laid...more so dropped it seems, and they are quite cold, and dented looking. Some have yellow, but I don't know if it's simply just yellow from the outside, or like a molding. I have only picked up the two shown in the picture below. There are two remaining in the corner of the cage, and the rest at the soil of one of the plants scattered around. Should I even bother trying to incubate these?

How soon after a female lays is she ready to be receptive again? I put the male in the cage to get her reaction, but as he was courting and rushing for her it turned into a biting war, so I had to stop that immediately.

Will females lay infertile eggs, or is it more the case that I got her pregnant and she never showed gravid coloration but was fertilized?

Thanks for any info!

2483355355_ac274134e0.jpg

Cameron

Last edited:
First time clutches are sometimes infertile or they never actually mated or one of the two were not in breeding condition. There can be many reasons for infertile clutches.

Does a dent in the egg usually indicate that an egg is bad? I decided to incubate them anyway until I can get a firm answer on what to look for. I've read through some topics in the breeding forum as well.

Also, any sure signs to just plain tell it's infertile? I've had these guys since late March, so I'm unsure if they managed to breed prior to this.

Regards,
Cameron

Hey Cameron!

I guess that answers a previous question on whether the female was gravid or not eh!

Your picture is not working, so I can't comment on that persay, but from what you describe (dented, yellow colour), the eggs do not sound fertile. However, incubate them until you know for sure.

I don't work with the lateralis lateralis but the lateralis major and the those females are receptive again 7 to 8 weeks later. They are quite obvious about it too!

Cheers,
t

Back
Top Bottom