Carpet Chameleon?

The best hospital tub, used by many on this site, is just a normal amazon shipping box. The less he has to see, the better. You want something that will block out the light completely. This way he'll close his eyes and "sleep" it out. Having a see-through container will only make him more stressed and worried. He'd rather feel enclosed and secure than feeling exposed and vunerable.

If you already have the Tupperware container ready, you can just wrap a towel around it or set it in a backpack or bag of some sort.
I’ll be using a trash bag around it. The tub has already been modified to place lights on top and a few places for him to perch along with ventilation. It’ll hold the humidity needed too, I’m pretty excited about it!

Sounds like a really nice container! Just be careful when adding lights or humidity to the Tupperware container. Even with ventilation, you could potentially cook your chameleon. If you are transporting to the vet, you won't need uvb, heat, or added humidity. The conditions of a regular transport box are very short-term and perfectly survivable for a chameleon. Chameleons have rainy days too where uvb exposure is close to zero, so you don't need to worry about mbd.

Sounds like a really nice container! Just be careful when adding lights or humidity to the Tupperware container. Even with ventilation, you could potentially cook your chameleon. If you are transporting to the vet, you won't need uvb, heat, or added humidity. The conditions of a regular transport box are very short-term and perfectly survivable for a chameleon. Chameleons have rainy days too where uvb exposure is close to zero, so you don't need to worry about mbd.
This will also be the container he lives in for a bit so I can monitor his progress since I’m not 100% sure his current condition at the moment. So he won’t have a trash bag around him when he’s home but when transporting yes he will. Think of it as a nursery bin or quarantine bin. It’ll be easy to transport around with him and keep my other reptiles safe incase he has something infectious or spreadable. Also easy to clean when needed. I’ve done this with my Leo’s before introducing them into a permanent enclosure. Incase they have Illnesses I’m unaware of.

Okay sounds good. Just make sure you have lots of holes (or slits) near the bottom of the container to take advantage of the chimney effect. And also includes lots of plants and visual barriers in the container. Even if you have to throw them out later due to parasites or other things. Chameleons will be able to internally fight off the parasites when they feel safe and secure. Minimalistic enclosures are good for cleaning, but chameleons will need places where they can completely hide to feel safe.

@Beman has dealt with parasites before and the cleaning that comes along with it. She might be able to give you some advice.

Sending a pic of the container may also help.
Alright Mendez I have pictures. It’s simple but I think it gets the job done.
3D7C2864-8CD9-431A-95B1-D5C668209181.jpeg
E661754D-2F19-4B46-83D4-A3B566CA738E.jpeg
not the cleanest cuts since I’m doing this with one hand and arm but I made sure none of it was sharp.

the big cut out is for the lights to fit in. It’s got foliage to hide in and a stick to bask on. Has chimney vents too. Easy to clean or dispose of.

So that's too small to be his quarantine enclosure, just as a temporary hospital/transport bin. You need more space for him/her to roam (along with a lay bin if it's a female) and have microclimates and space for him/her to get in and out of the UVB and heat, along with being able to hide. I'd get everything set up properly before buying the carpet cham. I'd also make sure your veiled's cage is right, too, like replacing the fake plants, before you spend your money on a new cham, make sure your current one has a correct environment, too. I'm not trying to be a bummer or anything, just wanting to make sure all of the chams you have/will have are/will be living their best lives.

Back
Top Bottom