Can you tell if a chameleon is wild caught

Caneronjohn

Hello I was wondering if there’s a way you can tell/guess if a chameleon is wild caught. I’m getting one off Craigslist in a few days and the person isn’t sure. Thanks

I don’t know if there is a way you can tell. I’ve heard that WC will be more afraid of you and CB might just be better at tolerating you. But I’m also sure personality and how you act around the chameleon will also play a lot into that as well.

What kind of cham are you getting?

Where do you live? If in Florida you have a higher chance of wild caught. There are people there that go out and capture them then sell them.
If you know signs of a healthy cham then it would be easier to spot a cham that is not regardless of being wild caught or captive bred.

I don’t know if there is a way you can tell. I’ve heard that WC will be more afraid of you and CB might just be better at tolerating you. But I’m also sure personality and how you act around the chameleon will also play a lot into that as well.

What kind of cham are you getting?
That makes a lot of sense actually! I’m getting a male veiled

Where do you live? If in Florida you have a higher chance of wild caught. There are people there that go out and capture them then sell them.
If you know signs of a healthy cham then it would be easier to spot a cham that is not regardless of being wild caught or captive bred.
Ohio

Welcome- Maybe you can share the CG pic. I have seen (recently) very - very sick veiled chams on it. This is California CG and listed as wrong species too.
Love the veiled, because you can't predict their attitudes. No matter how much you are around them. :ROFLMAO: (y) Some are great and others not so much but all are beautiful in their one way.

Well less of a chance... Did you ask where they got the chameleon from?
They said they got him from a reptile expo being sold as a captive bred 8 month old but I’m not too sure if that’s true because I haven’t seen any captive bred ones at that show. But in all the pics he looks healthy and isn’t missing any spines and has no marks or anything on him

Its not 100% reliable but wild caught chameleons tend to have wear and tear on the spines of their back. Captive bred have smooth intact spines.
It's not a completely reliable indicator
How fun! I love veiled chameleons! Be sure to post pictures of him when you get him!

if they were captured very young.
How fun! I love veiled chameleons! Be sure to post pictures of him when you get him
I definitely will!

They said they got him from a reptile expo being sold as a captive bred 8 month old but I’m not too sure if that’s true because I haven’t seen any captive bred ones at that show. But in all the pics he looks healthy and isn’t missing any spines and has no marks or anything on him
Yeah honestly no way to know. Just take precautions especially if you have other reptiles. Don't cross contaminate anything and get fecals done to rule out any parasite issues.

Can you share the CG post? Most Veiled at reptile shows are CB, but Chameleon hunters in Florida are wise to the importance of that title (CB) too.
JMHO- Usually they don't sell CB adult veiled chameleons at shows (babies are much more desirable). Adult Jacksons, panthers are usually the big hit.
Most Jacksons are WC.
Dang-- feeling old knowing this stuff. :ROFLMAO: (y) But have been going to Reptile shows since 1991. Also-- CA shows have less variety due to restrictions.
Januarys Reptile show had seen my 1st adult Oustalet's ... WOW! body size I had mistaken for Parsons but when I saw the head, knew what he was.
Unfortunately (lucky for me or I would have left with another pet) it was only a 5 year old display animal. Still awesome to see.

100% agree with Beman- so you will have a good foundation of new information for a healthy pet. (y)

I've heard and can't confirm if it's true, but the FL WC males tend to have higher casques than CB. But I agree with the above - keep the new cham separate and get them tested before any cross contamination occurs.

Back
Top Bottom