Can there be too much light?

Crued

Is there such thing as too much light? I have measured my UVB at several locations where he can hang out, and I'm good there, but I'd like to add more LED for my plants and frankly personal viewing pleasure. My main LED is the Arcadia Jungle Dawn 34 watt LED. It's about 4" off the top screen of the cage on a rack. It doesn't light the entire cage like "I" want it. The question is can I add the Glow & Grow 22" LED to provide more lighting for myself, without harming or irritating my animal?

As long as your cham has places to hide from the light, and the temps don't get too hot, you should be able to add more white (non-UV) light. You may find that it drives him farther down into the plants though.

You might try lowering the jungle dawn lights—again, as long as they don't raise temps or make the screen hot. LEDs generally don't put out a lot of heat, but I;m not familiar with that unit.

I've toyed with the second light, and seen what you are describing, he seems to them drop down a full foot in the enclosure, putting him outside the UVB range. I do have the ability to put the Jungle Dawn hanging from wire shelf it's on, that would drop it down 2-3 inches and maybe give me some more penetration. Heat is negligible.

FYI Jungle dawns can increase temps. Any new lighting is different for them. They too need an adjustment period. The Jungle dawns are safe to have directly on the top of the enclosure. What UVB fixture and bulb are you using? And what is the range of UVB your trying to obtain.

FYI Jungle dawns can increase temps. Any new lighting is different for them. They too need an adjustment period. The Jungle dawns are safe to have directly on the top of the enclosure. What UVB fixture and bulb are you using? And what is the range of UVB your trying to obtain.

I have a 22.5" 24 watt T5 with 12% Arcadia bulb. I have about 3 levels he can bask in and went for 3 at the highest spot (which is about 6" from the screen of the cage) and then a value of 1 on the lowest spot. My UVB is about 2-3" raised above the wire shelf. So the actual bulb is probably 10" or so from the highest basking spot in the cage (this reads 3 on the meter).

I do have a controller and monitor temps between 80-83, so the basking lights are controlled by that.

I have a 22.5" 24 watt T5 with 12% Arcadia bulb. I have about 3 levels he can bask in and went for 3 at the highest spot (which is about 6" from the screen of the cage) and then a value of 1 on the lowest spot. My UVB is about 2-3" raised above the wire shelf. So the actual bulb is probably 10" or so from the highest basking spot in the cage (this reads 3 on the meter).

I do have a controller and monitor temps between 80-83, so the basking lights are controlled by that.
Your UVb is spot on then. I think he is reacting more to the lights being closer since you have the UVB raised as well. I would personally give him a few days to adjust. The jungle dawn will not hurt him. Placing the jungle dawn so that it is opposite from where the higher branch is on the cage may help as well.

The key is is acclimation.... We're dealing with an intelligent animal who cost a great deal of money and we don't want to financially be hit or be responsible for a loss of life so we're this way that way and all ways. His breeder did not do a good job of handing off info to me so I don't even know what he lived in previously, much less how he was fed ("go check youtube"). I also got caught in a time-crunch with receiving my enclosure, set up in 1 day, and then received Stewart the next day. Got caught in a pickle with lots of circumstances and now just want everything to be right for him.

The key is is acclimation.... We're dealing with an intelligent animal who cost a great deal of money and we don't want to financially be hit or be responsible for a loss of life so we're this way that way and all ways. His breeder did not do a good job of handing off info to me so I don't even know what he lived in previously, much less how he was fed ("go check youtube"). I also got caught in a time-crunch with receiving my enclosure, set up in 1 day, and then received Stewart the next day. Got caught in a pickle with lots of circumstances and now just want everything to be right for him.
I can understand that and speaking from not only my own personal experience with lighting but from what I have read from others and learned... New lighting will throw them off. It is the same when you take them out side in natural light and back into the house... The light waves are different and can be a bit of a shock to them.
Speaking to the LED lighting you have... It is widely used with chams and is safe to put directly on the enclosure.

With anything that you change for them involving their enclosure there is an adjustment period. Change is not something they are fond of.

Back
Top Bottom