Can my chameleon get its food?

leopardboy193

I got a baby veiled chameleon recently. I have it in a custom built cage that is 4ft tall, 3ft wide, and 18in deep. I have a ficus tree and vines and some branches in there. He is like 3in long and stays up in the ficus tree. I dust the crickets and i have paper towel as the substrate and the crickets blend in and they crawl under it. He stays about 3ft from the bottom and I was wondering if he could still find his food even that far away and it blending in? Please help, if you have any ideas on how i could get him to find it better or how to make a little holder up where he is if it will help then say it. I really need to know! Thanks!

Cage is to big for a baby to find food in. Best way is to take plastic cup and make 2 holes next to each other so it can be connected to the cage or take a one gallon milk jug and cut a section out of it and hot glue some screen so the can climb up it so the chameleon can se it. Ask member (dodolah) for more info about it.

I would cup feed him and that size cage might be ok. DO NOT leave loose crickets in the cage with him at night......they can eat on your cham.

I just got a milk container and cut out a part and put 8 little crickets in it. They cant get out. I put it on his level so he should be able to find them right?

Make sure the cup is near his sight if not try coaxing him toward it by gently using your hand or tempting him with feeders, when using the feeder method you want to gradually guide him towards the cup, start out near him and gradually move towards where you've placed the cup then just drop one or two feeders in it. He'll get the hang of things soon enough :) just be sure to move slowly and be gentle, you want to prevent causing him stress as best you can.
Hope this helps. Goodluck.
-Jaz

I made a divider today! I hope to put it in tomoro. If i do will he find his food? It will be 4ft tall, 1.5ft wide, and 18in deep. I only have a couple branches and vines on that side, and on the otherside is a ficus tree. I was planning on putting him on the branch side so we can find him. Still need help!!Thanks!

I'm quite new to chameleon keeping, but I think the idea of the divider is to make the cage not quite so tall, not narrower. I could be wrong, but it seems way too tall for a baby. Anyone else??

when my chameleon was about four months old i had him in the same size cage but so it wouldnt be too deep we turned it on its side. and it worked alot better

The main idea is that your cage is too big for a young cham. When we say "too big", we're talking height.

That being said, the divider should go horizontally, not vertically. There's no point in putting in a divider if you're cage is still just as dangerous.

I successfully put a divider in the cage!!! He has eaten a couple crickets already! I will take pics of the cage later. Thanks for the help!!!

I wish you the best of luck with him. We love to see picture! :D Just ask if you have anymore questions. Jann

Heres pics of his cage. You can kind of see him on the vine. Hes on the right half.

P1010675.jpg

P1010676.jpg

P1010677.jpg

Back
Top Bottom