Can i use this light for chameleon?

wivenova

i search a type of light nearly for reptile light . and after i go to the shop to by light from brand philips they said it can use for reptile. have a uva & uvb . name is philips cleo compact 20w uva% uvb% it use to human for tan skin ...do you think is a good idea to use for chameleon pygmy or veiled ?

PHILIPS CLEO COMPACT (fluorescent tanning lamps)
lamp wattaged : 20w ,Reflector : no ,Diameter : 28mm, Length : 444mm, UVA : 3.8w, UVB/UVA : 1.0%, UVA Mw/cm3 : 25, tanning time(min) : 16, Lifetime : 500 hrs

and another qestion i want to ask did pygmy chameleon can take a siesta ? it is normal ? or i have a problem with them?

sorry if i such a foolist i'm not good in english and i want to learn about chameleon i love it.. i afraid them to die.. the people here is can't help me in everything that i want to know.. plesse help me ..:)

Last edited:
Ok i dont know the bulb your talking about, but if its used to tan humans id stay away from it!!! your english is good dont worrie about that..where in thailand do you live?
Also i dont think chameleons are supposed to "siesta" so something could be wrong with your setup but im NO expert so hopefully someone else can help..

i wouldn't use that bulb. there are already dozens of reptile approved products that i would go to first. by siesta what do you mean? not eating, sleeping, or just standing still?

as covered before pygmy may stay in one spot for days waiting for food to scurry past.

is that what you meant?

if hes closing his eyes during normal day house it could be the start of something bad like a lack of Vitamin A

"siesta" sleeping day-time. i don't know that he has a problem with something... my enclosures is near window and sunlight is coming at 12.00-17.30 (before this time i use this light that i ask all of you for moring time ) and my pygmy chameleon is climb up to find something to eat at ~16.00 spend sometime on branch ~1 hours and go to sleeping...(my problem is happen with only on chameleon (male)my female chameleon does't have any problem like him)

and about light do anybody have a information for me , this light is really dangerous for them? i can't find light that i can buy it.. do you know about another brand for light without www.uvguide.co.uk a simple brand.

or i found some light that use with water tree (that they glow a tree in aquarium) that light have UVB only . that it can use with reptile too?

and another question that chameleon can sleepy? be drowsy? (i don't know what word that i suppose to use ^^")

Ps. thx for all to help me and to be patient read my bad english . thank you verymuch

It's not good if chameleons sleep during the day. UVB doesn't pass through glass or plastic.

Please show us a picture of the water tree light, or a URL that has information on it.

Chameleons are only sleepy or drowsy if they are sick or aren't getting adequate sleep.

Well for Pygmy Chameleons you dont need any Uvb or such. They are forrest floor species and have addapted to life where there is not allot of sunlight hitting them anyhow. so a regular house bulb works for lighting and Basking near. But I have never seen my Pygmies intentionally basking. (getting warm).
You may still use vitamin dust on occasions, on its food sources.
Sleeping durring day could mean Bacteria, or Paracites? and would need treatment. Try some Vitamins first and see if that helps him.

Now as for a Veild Chameleon, proper Uvb lighting and Vitamin supliments are needed. Also in Thialand I would imagine it would be warm enough for you to put your Veild in a outside cage so they could get some real sunshine at times. Just make sure there is shaded area in that cage so if they want to get out of the sun they can.

Back
Top Bottom