can I turn off the heat light in the summer when it is hot inside?

Benclark

So I have a male veiled chameleon who is just about an adult. I have noticed that he seems like he is overheating (mouth open) so I turned off his heat lamp for a while. It is almost 80 degrees inside and I worry that he is getting too hot. Can I leave his heat lamp off during the day?

i turn mine off 10-2pm

I leave them on a few hours in the morning just so they can warm up. Once air temps are in the mid 80's they all start hiding at the bottoms of the cages.

Or you could create a gradient, and just move the heat lamp to just one corner.

But gaping is fine, its lizard head air conditioning. You will see beardies all the time on hot rocks, with their mouth open. They want the belly warm but the head cool :)

i turn mine off 10-2pm

I leave them on a few hours in the morning just so they can warm up. Once air temps are in the mid 80's they all start hiding at the bottoms of the cages.

Or you could create a gradient, and just move the heat lamp to just one corner.

But gaping is fine, its lizard head air conditioning. You will see beardies all the time on hot rocks, with their mouth open. They want the belly warm but the head cool :)
I appreciate the advice! I think I will do the same

I bought the herpstat just for this issue. It is pretty expensive but I don’t regret buying it at all as it helps me regulate the basking spot, which in turn helps with the rest of the cage

Back
Top Bottom