Can chameleons drink bottled water / well water?

sarie

Im getting a chameleon soon and idk if I should use regular like spring water from a water bottle / gallon or if I can use the water from my home’s well system.

mine have since the 90's.

Not good for plant misting, since its really hard to wash off years of mineral build up from leaves.

If you will be using a mister or fogger, it might be better to just spend the buck or 2 a week for 1-2 gallons of distilled. But that is for easy cleaning, not chameleon health.

Welcome to the forum. I agree with both previous answers.
The enemy of misting systems and plants is minerals dissolved in bottled, city, and/or well water—mainly calcium—the stuff that leaves a chalky white residue. Even most filtered/softened waters don't remove all calcium, so those of us that do use misting systems use distilled or RO water to prevent undue buildup & wear.

What kind of chameleon (species, sex) will you be getting, and how soon?

You said..."Im getting a chameleon soon and idk if I should use regular like spring water from a water bottle / gallon or if I can use the water from my home’s well system"...well water and spring water...full of minerals that will likely clog your misters, etc. even if they don't harm your chameleon.

Water in the wild would normally come from dew/fog/rain. They have minerals and even pollution in them sometimes depending on where it's from.

Welcome to the forum. I agree with both previous answers.
The enemy of misting systems and plants is minerals dissolved in bottled, city, and/or well water—mainly calcium—the stuff that leaves a chalky white residue. Even most filtered/softened waters don't remove all calcium, so those of us that do use misting systems use distilled or RO water to prevent undue buildup & wear.

What kind of chameleon (species, sex) will you be getting, and how soon?
Thanks so much! I will likely use distilled water. I’m planning on getting a male ambilobe panther chameleon within the next month😁

I should have said this just for clarity...i have always used tap water but I leave it out overnight to reach room temperature and let the chlorine dissipate. You still need to know what's in the water...but I feel that nutrients (not additives) in hard water shouldn't be a problem. Please be aware too that I have always hand misted and have no worry about clogged misters. My drippers have always been containers with a tiny hole punched in the bottom so I don't have to worry about them clogging either. I always like hand misting because it gives me time to observe the chameleons.

Something all these fools forgot to ask you OP, is your water softened? In which case the salt or potassium(if it's a salt softener) could be high or low depending on the hardness of the water in your area. This may not be good for your cham in large amounts. I have a well and when my chameleon gets showers(literally, in our shower) I bypass the softener temporarily so he can get the mineral water from the well. Or when he's outside he gets the hose on mist, which isn't softened water.

@jamest0o0 said..."Something all these fools forgot to ask you OP, is your water softened?"...fools? Thanks. :(
Didn't know that was foolish! Thought maybe it was more like an omission (especially since I don't have a water softener)! :)

@jamest0o0 said..."Something all these fools forgot to ask you OP, is your water softened?"...fools? Thanks. :(
Didn't know that was foolish! Thought maybe it was more like an omission (especially since I don't have a water softener)! :)

Lol I'm messing. Down here in canada, we casually say that at times.

Something all these fools forgot to ask you OP, is your water softened? In which case the salt or potassium(if it's a salt softener) could be high or low depending on the hardness of the water in your area. This may not be good for your cham in large amounts. I have a well and when my chameleon gets showers(literally, in our shower) I bypass the softener temporarily so he can get the mineral water from the well. Or when he's outside he gets the hose on mist, which isn't softened water.
yes my well water is softened with a salt softener. I think i’m going to opt for distilled water just to be safe :) i didn’t know chameleons could take showers! how cool 😄

Back
Top Bottom