Can bugs find food on their own?

cushcameleon

I have two very big homemade feeder bins for my roaches and crickets. My roaches are very small and spread out in stacked egg crates. My question is, are feeders able to locate the gutload on their own? When I had smaller bins I always saw bugs on my gutload, but now that they are in bigger bins it seems that some of the bugs never eat. Where should I place the gutload? Right now I have it next to the egg crates in the corner.

I have two very big homemade feeder bins for my roaches and crickets. My roaches are very small and spread out in stacked egg crates. My question is, are feeders able to locate the gutload on their own? When I had smaller bins I always saw bugs on my gutload, but now that they are in bigger bins it seems that some of the bugs never eat. Where should I place the gutload? Right now I have it next to the egg crates in the corner.

Roaches are survivors no matter what they find the food even if its eating one of their own. Place the gutload anywhere im sure the roaches are eating it.

Roaches are survivors no matter what they find the food even if its eating one of their own. Place the gutload anywhere im sure the roaches are eating it.

Agreed. So long as the nymphs are able to walk on the container floor, they will go to where the food is. Putthing the food next to the egg crates should guarantee it.

Well I am still having problems getting my baby dubias attracted to the food. I have only seen two total dubia on top of the gutload; however, there are numerous amounts of dead dubia and they appear to have been chewed on. They gutload is right next to the egg crates, but it doesn't seem that the dubia ever move from where they are. Should I add heat tape and see if that stimulates them to move more?

Well I am still having problems getting my baby dubias attracted to the food. I have only seen two total dubia on top of the gutload; however, there are numerous amounts of dead dubia and they appear to have been chewed on. They gutload is right next to the egg crates, but it doesn't seem that the dubia ever move from where they are. Should I add heat tape and see if that stimulates them to move more?

the dead dubias might be their dead skin.
When they slough their skin off, sometimes the skin looked like what you describe.
Any adult male dubia around? are the wings intact or chewed?
what gutload you use?

the dead dubias might be their dead skin.
When they slough their skin off, sometimes the skin looked like what you describe.
Any adult male dubia around? are the wings intact or chewed?
what gutload you use?

I have no adult dubia yet, only very small babies. I am currently using a mix of dices apples, oranges, potatoes and yams, along with a water gel for hydration called "cricket drink".

they should be fine.
As long as the roaches can climb to get to the food, they will. Like what Chris insinuated, they love darkness. So, mostly they will only feed when it's dark and nobody around. Can't help it.. that's their instinct.
Seriously, I found it quite hard to kill them. Even during serious neglect of my part, I found they are still thriving..
Is the population somehow dwindling?

I agree with dodolah. Impossible to kill.

Chameleo hates the roaches, so at one point I forgot to feed them for a month.
Somehow I had new nymphs in there and a larger colony. Go figure.

Totally impossible to kill.

I keep mine in a giant bin as well. I keep a real small amount of food in there and they find it fine. I am just maintaining them at the moment, but when I decide to feed them off again, I'll give them a good flush for a week or two with good food.

Is the population somehow dwindling?

It's pretty hard for me to tell :rolleyes:, mainly because the bin is very big and I have several large stacked egg crates. I will watch them carefully for the next few weeks and then I will post on update on this thread. Thank you for the help.

Is there anything other than the egg crates in the bin? if the "floor" of the bin is slippery plastic, perhaps they are having trouble moving around? Arent Dubia burrowing roaches? I've only recently started keeping them (I've had hissers and turks for much longer) and I find Dubia seem "happier" with a substrate.

Is there anything other than the egg crates in the bin? if the "floor" of the bin is slippery plastic, perhaps they are having trouble moving around? Arent Dubia burrowing roaches? I've only recently started keeping them (I've had hissers and turks for much longer) and I find Dubia seem "happier" with a substrate.

I have my dubia in a glass tank with a glass floor, they all seem to move around just fine. They do fine without substrate, in my opinion i think it would just make finding the smaller ones quite difficult.

Try taking a close look at the food you put in, check to see if there any noticeable nibble marks from them. I noticed that on all the food I put in with my dubia after a while I can see bite marks out of the food.

I have my dubia in a glass tank with a glass floor, they all seem to move around just fine. They do fine without substrate, in my opinion i think it would just make finding the smaller ones quite difficult.

Good to know. I havent had trouble with the substrate, but it does take more time when cleaning up (to ensure you get all the nymphs) that the roaches housed without substrate. Maybe I'll cut back on it, just give them a little pile in one corner :)

Try taking a close look at the food you put in, check to see if there any noticeable nibble marks from them. I noticed that on all the food I put in with my dubia after a while I can see bite marks out of the food.

Indeed! The dissapearance of food is the best indicator

Back
Top Bottom