Can a chameleon stress going into a "used" cage?

Tige21v

Avid Member
I picked up a new little guy (four month old) a couple of days ago. I moved a 6-month old male into a new cage, and put the new male directly into the 6-month's old cage. I cleaned the bottom floor, but did not clean/rinse the rest of it.
The guy has been stressed since going in. He cannot see any of the other chams. He hangs out at the front of the cage all day, but stressed.
Almost like he is afraid there is something in the rear of the cage hidden in the vines.
Can he "smell" the prior chameleon?
I am at a loss trying to understand his behavior. I have never had another act this way when bringing it home.
TIA

Last edited:
I picked up a new little guy (four month old) a couple of days ago. I moved a 6-month old male into a new cage, and put the new male directly into the 6-month's old cage. Did not clean/rinse
Why wouldn’t you clean the ‘old’ enclosure? If your older cham has any parasites or other, now your new cham does too.

If I were you, I’d take fecal samples from both to be checked for parasites. Just as I take my new dogs/cats to the vet for a wellness check, I do the same with my reptiles. It also allows to form a relation with your vet and them to become familiar with you and your animal if you ever have any problem that needs their care.

And you may be right.
But at the moment, I am trying to figure out why this guy has been charcoal gray for the past 48 hours. Pretty sure parasitic transmission is not the cause.

Chameleons generally have a lousy sense of smell (one reason they taste everything) but it's probably good enough to smell the other male's presence, which could be a source of stress.

A thorough enclosure cleaning (including plants) may be in order. I would use something like Nature's Miracle Cage Cleaner or Small Animal Cage Odor Eliminator.
http://www.naturesmiracle.com/Products/More-Products/Small-Animal-Cage-Cleaners.aspx

I use the former regularly; I have not personally used the latter, but I've been using their products for other pets for decades.

Highly recommend taking your Chams to the vet and run a fecal test. You need to separate them it will cause a lot of stress for them both if you don't. Definitely clean the cage too. Take the plants out and scrub them down leave by leave. Basically just give everything a good little scrub down. Do all that and you should be good. ? (y)

Chameleons tend to stress out in a new environment until they are sure they don't have to defend the new territory. It isn't established whether or not they leave a scent marker behind but panthers do seem to taste branches for some reason. I would clean the cage for the reasons mentioned above and to remove any "signs" of the previous occupant.

Chameleons don't have much of a sense of smell but if a half hour of work might make a chameleon happier why not? Their vision is great and they may recognize poop piles as territory markers.

Back
Top Bottom