Can a Cham have TOO much water?

wertagum

Just wondering, is it possible to over-water a chameleon?

I don't mean misting, but actually ingesting the water. Is there a point when it becomes dangerous? Even if the Chameleon continues to drink willingly?

I dont think so, But higher levels of water ingestion suggest either there is an underlying issue with health, or perhaps simply, its not getting enough moisture from its food. What do you feed your feeder insects?
What are its droppings like?
:)

Oh there is definetly an underlying health issue.
I have a Veiled, and he has a pretty severe case of MBD. And recently I found out that on top of that I was not giving him enough water. This is my first chameleon and I'll openly admit that I didn't do my research before I got him and now he is suffering for it. :( I feel awful but I have brought him to the vet twice and completely overhauled my husbandry, so hopefully things will improve.

Anyway, I am feeding my crickets Flukers orange cubes (vitamins, food and water in one) and lettuce, apples, carrots and various other veggies.

I feed my superworms apples for moisture and an oatmeal mixture. Butterworms get apples , and silk worms get lettuce atm, until I can get more chow.

What could happen if he is overwatered?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

before concluding that you are over watering him, why not tell us your misting schedule and the duration of misting?
a veiled that seems to be thirsty all the time suggest some underlying problems.

Thanks everyone for the response, but unfortunately my little guy prolapsed today..and i took him to the vet and had him put down. She said that no matter what we did, he was too far gone, with the MBD and all. :(

Back
Top Bottom