Calumma brevicorne or calumma crypticum?

Spookies

Got this from a buddy. He said it was a Calumma brevicorne but the blue is making me think it's a Calumma crypticum what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20230102_145300.jpg
    20230102_145300.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230102_145312.jpg
    20230102_145312.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 69
Identifying species between the two is difficult even for the experts. I have two brevicorne females identified by Dr. Chris Anderson and a male per the importer. Here's a link to all Madagascar chameleons that might give you some clues as to what you have. Here's one of my females just to show off 😊
20220815_151827.jpg

The main obvious trait to look for that seperates Calumma crypticum from Calumma brevicorne is blue leggs. That is hence why Calumma crypticum is called the Blue Legged Elephant Eared Chameleon.

The pictures above are not that clear with regards to the color of the leggs. That specimen could very well be Calumma crypticum.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The main obvious trait to look for that seperates Calumma crypticum from Calumma brevicorne is blue leggs. That is hence why Calumma crypticum is called the Blue Legged Elephant Eared Chameleon.

The pictures above are not that clear with regards to the color of the leggs. That specimen could very well be Calumma crypticum.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
The more I observed him, he does have tint of blue on his legs.

I actually had mine for 2 years now I think. I do wish we get more Trioceros import tho. Still regret that I pass a cb T.quad 3 years ago.
I think with a decade or two or more of accolplished conservation and restoration some Trioceros may become available again (other than Kenya). I think Tanzania is going to reopen with exports of some Trioceros and Kinyongia chameleon species. That country is just updating their approach to wildlife resources management and exports how to export them.

Possibly Cameroon if that country conserves and restores chameleon forests, controls collecting or manages reptile farming, and manages exports of the great Trioceros chameleons that live in that region.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I think with a decade or two or more of accolplished conservation and restoration some Trioceros may become available again (other than Kenya). I think Tanzania is going to reopen with exports of some Trioceros and Kinyongia chameleon species. That country is just updating their approach to wildlife resources management and exports how to export them.

Possibly Cameroon if that country conserves and restores chameleon forests, controls collecting or manages reptile farming, and manages exports of the great Trioceros chameleons that live in that region.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Yes, I've heard that about Tanzania ...
Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Back
Top Bottom