Calcium Syrup

Vince

Ok so my female cham was prescribed Calcium syrup. .7 milleters twice a day. Due to the fact that she has MBD.

Today was my first day trying to do this, it went real bad. I couldn't get her to open her mouth for the life of me. I poked her nose with a cotton swab like the vet showed me and i covered her with my hand cause i know that really pisses her off. She opened once i got like .1 milleters of the med in and she turned.

If there is any advice that anyone could give me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Well I havent had to administer meds so i cant give the best advice, but i'd assume if you want to calm her down i would cover her with a towel or something and then try the cotton swab trick. I had to take off a ring of skin that wouldnt come off the tail and in order for me to be able to do that I had to cover him up so i could work the skin off his tail.

Good luck with treating the MBD and i hope your girl gets better :)

i have heard that some meds can be injected into large insects then in turn fed to the animal. Not sure if that will have the same effect with the calcium syrup tho

i have heard that some meds can be injected into large insects then in turn fed to the animal. Not sure if that will have the same effect with the calcium syrup tho

Yes, use a good size superworm or a silkworm or hornworm. Just feed immediately after the injection because it will kill the worm in like a minute and be sure your cham is hungry.

thanks a lot i will try that, i just got her to open up and take a dose with my gf help. Sure hope she gets better.

she has always had the right lights and the vet has me dusting everything she eats with calcium, and D3.

She had babies at a young age is why she is in the shape she is in. I bought her from petsmart, im guessing being in the pet store chain she wasnt fed properly for birth on top of that she was too young, resulting in MBD.

When she is drinking, try to ease a bit of the liquid calcium in while her mouth is open.

If this doesn't work, if you can get the end of the syringe (needless, of course) inside her lower lip you can ease a little in there.

Back
Top Bottom