caging question

strongstong

I live in Lubbock where it gets farely cold; would it be easier to control the humidty and heat in glass terrarium rather than a screen terrarium. And can chameleons ever live healthy in a glass terrarium; cause all i see everyone else using is screen terrariums.

I live in Lubbock where it gets farely cold; would it be easier to control the humidty and heat in glass terrarium rather than a screen terrarium. And can chameleons ever live healthy in a glass terrarium; cause all i see everyone else using is screen terrariums.

how cold and dry can it get? and for what chameleon?
Just for the sake of the post, i'll assume you mean either panther or veiled.
If it get below 50 F daily, then glass terrarium might be better.
In this case, you have to provide ample ventilation for the chameleon.
Usually people use minimum of 2 vented sides while the rest 3 sides are glass (not counting the bottom).

It's a Carpet, it has been getting down to 49 degrees already. But i live in an apartment and i keep it at a temp of around 65-70. What if all i can get is glass terrarium, could i just use a little fan or something?

It's a Carpet, it has been getting down to 49 degrees already. But i live in an apartment and i keep it at a temp of around 65-70. What if all i can get is glass terrarium, could i just use a little fan or something?

If you are going to keep the temp that range, then I think you should really consider using screens.
If you want glass, you have to make an adjustment by adding 2 sides of ventilation strip/ 2 screen sides. I don't recommend having fan blowing directly into the cage.

Seriously, why not use screen cage?
They are cheaper than an aquarium.

I live in Minneapolis, MN where it gets into the negative degrees F. regularly every winter and I have never found that to be a reason to use glass. As long as your house is heated (which I assume it is) a screen enclosure would be better.

Edit: I just read: "What if all I can get is a glass terrarium?" Why would that be the only thing you could get? My honest advice is if that is all you can get, don't get the chameleon. Chameleons really do need the ventilation (but not a blowing fan) and the height of a screen enclosure. There are literally hundreds of websites that sell screen enclosures online, you could easily find one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys, really. I'm just trying to find out how important the screen terrariums are, now I know. I just ordered one online.

Back
Top Bottom