Cage mesh

EC22

Hi all,

I'm in the process of making a cage. I've been doing some research on what type of mesh to use. 2 options here: use small size screen (aluminum or plastic) or use large size mesh. Since I don't want the small screen type this leaves me with the 1/8'' or 1/4'' mesh. Apparently the bare galvanized mesh cause cutting issues and the plastic coated one sold on the web is terribly expensive.

This is puzzling, really, since I don't want to spend that much for screen (and I'm in Canada so I don't want to think about shipping charges).

Have anyone ever tried using the 1/8'' mesh, paint it (or not) then using some sort of fiberglass coating (I'm talking about using the resin part, forget about the cloth). This would make the mesh wires rounder and protect from cuts. This is assuming this stuff is not toxic.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/9638/mvc313fxx0.jpg

What do you think?

Etienne

Check my cage albums under my profile and maybe that's will give you some ideas looking at the cages that I built.

They should have plastic coated mesh at any home building supply store. I just saw some at Home Depot for $9.99 for a bundle. I dont know about the resin maybe someone else might. Do they have a Home Depot where you are?

We do have HD around. Haven't seen any coated mesh over there.

Why would it be difficult to coat the mesh with the resin?

how were you planning to coat it? it seems like you would have to mix up a huge batch of resin and dip it? that would be very expensive, not to mention messy and wasteful. maybe i just dont see how you are planning to do it?

oh and polyester resin is very toxic when un cured. not sure about when its cured. the catalyst (methyl-ether-ketone) is pretty nasty stuff too

because the screen is flexible you would eventually run into problems of the the paint or resin coating cracking off, which would lead to other problems down the road. If you are looking for the perfect screen mesh, the isn't one. Each of the different types have an up side and down sides.

Ideally, if you are going with some kind of harware cloth, keep your viv populated with lots of branches and climbing surfaces or places to hide. It will minimize the need to crawl on the screen hopefully.

good luck

OPI

I've found plastic screen with quarter inch openings (think plastic hardware cloth) with smooth non-cutting edges in a local industrial plastics store. A similar product (not quite as nice) is sold at Home Depot in the gardening area (possilbly meant to keep cats and deer out of the veggy patch). Because of heat lamps, I have used metal hardware cloth on most of the tops of cages (most of my chameleons do not have the habit of walking or hanging upside down from the top so I dont worry about feet in that small application). I've use coated wire (as like in a quality bird cage, I think they call it powder coated, but its like a plastic coating) - this is my favourite of all the choices, but also the most expensive.

Back
Top Bottom