Cage drainage

boj3434

I have the 2x2x4 LLL cage but I hung it on the wall over my bed. It turned out cool but sometime it overflows a drips onto my bed so I planning on setting up some sort of drainage system. I am planning on just drill hopefully only one but I will probably need at least two holes. I am just wanting some ideas on how to catch the water based on the fact the the cage is hanging in the corner and that I dont want to buy one.

I drilled 4-5 holes in the bottom and use a plant pot water catching thing... The name of those things escapes my right now... You can also use a plastic drawer to catch the water too.

Thats what I originally was thinking but I only have about a foot between bottom of cage and bed and the less space the better. I might get some small tubing and run in to a gallon or something to catch it. Any other ideas are much appreciated.

Some people glue a funnel to the bottom and use a hose to get the water to a bucket off to the side. Or you can use a small valve like thing (this name is escaping me too) and do the same thing with the hose.

Yes I have a feeling thats the way I will be going with but I would still love any better ideas if there are some. Thanks.

Ya I think that is probably the best thing to do. Does anyone know where to buy some cheap tubing and small funnels.

I just didnt want to spend like $40 on the water catcher thing. I was planning on using the funnels to catch the water and route it to a bin with some tubing, unless anyone has a better idea?

You can "direct" the water that collects on the cage bottom by adding a very slight tilt to the cage or just the bottom, running a bead of silicone along the edges of the bottom on 3 sides, and leaving a gap in the silicone bead above whatever you are going to use to collect the water.

I like to make the hole barely big enough for the tubing to fit in the I use clear silicone but you have to make sure that its dead dry in the cage for 24 hours after uisng the solicone and def. Make sure your animal doesn't get near it

Hey Dakota, how do you connect the hose to the hole in the bottom?

Bo I have been using the aquarium tubing and silicon for a few months now and the results are pleasing, however now iam building a cabnit for my cage to sit on that has a cement mixing tub where the cage sits on top of it and I'm going to make a drain in the mixing tub that drains into a 5 gallon bucket in the cabnit , I'm putting a screen in the bottom of my cage. I got the idea from MWhellock he's in my friends if you goto his gallery you can see his set up its nice

I use bed raisers to raise my cage then drilled about 10 holes at the bottom of the cage (small enough where crickets can't get out).

Then I place plastic tubberware or even the top of a deep rubbermaid underneath.

Cheap and works great.

The water tray from LLL looks neat but it doesn't say how you would drain the water from that tray, once it fills up. If they didn't provide a means to drain the water then that could be a real pain.

Michael

Ya those are all good ideas and I like the screen I might think about trying that. The cage already has a slight tilt in it since it is hanging it bends slightly to the far corner so I figured I would only need 2 holes. Thanks and keep the ideas coming

Back
Top Bottom