Burnt spine off back?

You don't? Where would the cham go for concentrated heat to help with digestion?

The basking bulb
A basking bulb is any light bulb that generates heat to create a warm spot at the top of the cage. Reptiles are ectotherms (cold-blooded), meaning they need to absorb heat from their environment to regulate their own body heat since they cannot produce it. Therefore a temperature gradient in their cage is essential to good health. They need a warm place to bask in order to digest food properly but they also need cooler places to cool down so they do not overheat since they can’t sweat or pant. A basking bulb provides warmer temperatures at the top of the cage but should not be so hot that it heats the entire cage. Your chameleon will utilize different temperature zones throughout the day depending on its metabolism and needs.
A Jackson’s Cham should never be in temps more than 80 degrees. If the air temp is already 80 degrees he doesn’t need a basking bulb, he can digest just fine at 80 degrees. You have to remember that Jackson’s are a montane species so they require lower temps th,an other chameleons.

I’m not here to argue, I’m just here as a person who keeps a male Jackson’s Cham and this is the info I have read and learned. I believe @Mendez and @Kaizen will back me up as well as the chameleonacademy.com. Oh and @JacksJill as well. If they say I’m wrong then I’ll stand corrected. I just want to help people take great care of their chams with good advice so they live long healthy lives. Sorry if I get repetitive or over bearing, I’m just passionate about Jackson’s.

Last edited:
I completely agree with @Lindasjackson. Once the ambient room temperature is the temperature that the basking spot should be, then there is no reason to have the basking light on anymore. The chameleon will only utilize a basking light to achieve certain internal temperatures. Once those temperatures have been achieved, the chameleon will retreat into the foliage like Linda said. Most of the time, they are spotted basking in the early morning and late afternoon when the temps start to drop at night. They don't need a basking light on all the time either, even if the temperature in the room is around 68-72 during the day. @JacksJill, one of the resident jacksonii breeders here on the forums, sets her basking lights on timers so they don't bask all day. She's getting extremely healthy offspring and well-digested poops.

Keeping the room at 80 degrees is not a good idea because it leaves no room for the chameleon to retreat. We should aim to give our chameleons gradients so they can choose what temperature and humidity they want to be at.

I'm sure I missed a few points but that's the gist of it. Feel free to ask more questions or refute my points. I'm open to a healthy discussion.

If your room is at 80 degrees already you don’t even need a basking light because it’s already hot enough. You-really do not want it over 80. You will over heat him that way. You also want a gradient from the top of his cage down, so if the top sm80 then you want the middle to be maybe 75 and then the bottom to be 70. he needs a temp drop to at least 65 at night but preferably lower and high humidity, 80-100% at night. This is important for them to be able to sleep and rehydrate. I know Bill Strand is in Cali and raises these guys there so I highly recommend you visit chameleonacademy.com and read his info specifically on Jackson’s chams.
Thank you ill look at that site! I just returned the 75w bulbs i bought and found the 60w at walmart. I just switched it out and his basking temp has stayed at 78 since this morning. I have a little fan in my room that spins and it helps with the temperature, his cage is almost 6ft tall and its pretty wide so the side opposite to his basking area is way cooler, one thing i struggle with is keeping the humidity gradient higher at the bottom, i recently had to take his huge monsterosa plant out of the bottom because it was gnat infested. every single plant ive put on the bottom after always ends up having that issue, even when i cover the tops with sand and rocks and frequently change the soil. I also feel bad because the bottom is just an empty void, and he doesnt get much coverage down there.

Attachments

• CB4AA2F5-DC6D-4639-A5AC-3E33A73C8CF7.jpeg
    CB4AA2F5-DC6D-4639-A5AC-3E33A73C8CF7.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 48
I completely agree with @Lindasjackson. Once the ambient room temperature is the temperature that the basking spot should be, then there is no reason to have the basking light on anymore. The chameleon will only utilize a basking light to achieve certain internal temperatures. Once those temperatures have been achieved, the chameleon will retreat into the foliage like Linda said. Most of the time, they are spotted basking in the early morning and late afternoon when the temps start to drop at night. They don't need a basking light on all the time either, even if the temperature in the room is around 68-72 during the day. @JacksJill, one of the resident jacksonii breeders here on the forums, sets her basking lights on timers so they don't bask all day. She's getting extremely healthy offspring and well-digested poops.

Keeping the room at 80 degrees is not a good idea because it leaves no room for the chameleon to retreat. We should aim to give our chameleons gradients so they can choose what temperature and humidity they want to be at.

I'm sure I missed a few points but that's the gist of it. Feel free to ask more questions or refute my points. I'm open to a healthy discussion.
My house temp says 72 but unfortunately i live in one of the hotter areas of california and sometimes i cant control the temp change. I have automatic timers so ill think of a schedule where i can turn his basking light off occasionally! he does love to bask around this time (9 am cali) and around when i go to work at 3 pm.

Have you thought about a window ac? In the summer here I run mine all night to get the lower temps he needs at night.. but that also effects the humidity so I combat that with my mister and fogger as long as my temps are below 65 at night. it Sounds like your daytime temp of 78 is ok.

Last edited:
I’ve had the same problem with gnats. You can always try getting a sundew plant. It’s a carnivorous plant that attracts and eats the gnats. Having lots of plants in the cage also helps keep humidity up and I think it helps keep the bottom of the cage cooler because the foliage blocks the lights. You’re fighting a loosing battle changing the soil etc trying to prevent gnats.

Don’t worry too much about the bottom of the cage because they don’t go down there much or at least mine doesn’t but I would suggest a whole lot more foliage than you have. Jackson’s feel the most st ease if they can hide. I would suggest a tall ficus Benjamin a or a tall umbrella plant. A central tall plant or small tree is best for them then add other plants around the sides. Create a forest edge, that’s what Jackson’s like the best. Here’s a picture of mine Only now I only have natural branches, no dowels. My ficus isn’t as full as it used to be in this picture but I recently fertilized it so hopefully it will fill in again.

Attachments

• D4CD11C2-B04E-45F1-9E4D-20A6C571D82B.jpeg
    D4CD11C2-B04E-45F1-9E4D-20A6C571D82B.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 44
By this logic, the temps never exceed 80 degrees in Kenya?
I think you’ll find that the average daytime temps in the relevant areas rarely do get that hot. Remember, dense forest at altitudes up to 2700 meters. Just for some perspective, here’s some temps for nairobi Kenya:

1643090560885.png

Note that nairobi will most certainly be hotter than the mountain forests in the surrounding area. 27 (80) looks to be among the highest temps, with mid 20s (74-78) being more normal. So, while there probably are a few days a year where things get hot, it’s much milder than temps at sea level. My guess is that wild jax rarely see ambient temps above mid 70s.

Further to my last, I think @Lindasjackson hit the nail on the head. If your jax can see 80 without a heat lamp, then you don’t need one. I’d be more concerned about getting the ambient temps below 77 (preferably below 75). My personal experience is that jax—from new born to adult—can be raised without a heat lamp if ambient temps are mid 70s. The combination of your uvb and daylight bulbs will raise the temp in the basking area up a few degrees, and that’s good enough.

Have you thought about a window ac? In the summer here I run mine all night to get the lower temps he needs at night.. but that also effects the humidity so I combat that with my mister and fogger as long as my temps are below 65 at night. it Sounds like your daytime temp of 78 is ok.
It actually worked out! I lived on the 10th floor of an apartment building next to the beach, it would get insanely hot. I recently moved into a house thats only one floor, and the house stays colder compared to the last place i lived in. the 65w bulb is working perfectly now, temperatures are good its not too hot, and i propped up the lamp with wooden slats to prevent more burns. Tysm!!

Back
Top Bottom