Bulb guards

Rufus73

Hi are people using bulb guards to protect their chameleons from the bulbs or just placing the branches in a position that the cham can't come into contact with it ?

I've got all my snake vivarium with guards as they can reach the CHE quite easily

Just want to get things right the first time so I appreciate your opinions

Rufus

Hi there. All bulbs for chameleons should be on the outside of the cage in their fixtures. We use regular reflective domes for heat and T5HO fixtures for UVB.

The thing is I'm in the UK and using a wooden vivarium so it's not possible to mount outside

But I understand now that over in the states you mount outside not in

I think it may be best to protect them then

The thing is I'm in the UK and using a wooden vivarium so it's not possible to mount outside

But I understand now that over in the states you mount outside not in

I think it may be best to protect them then
Yeah it is to reduce thermal burn from the heat lamp and also to ensure they are not being over exposed by the uvb. If you can cut out the top and screen it, that would be a safer option. Otherwise your going to need a very high enclosure and the usable space in the top is going to be limited.

With a 6% uvb bulb mounted inside you would need a good 11-12 inches down to basking ( the highest point the cham can get to) to have a UVI 3. UVI 3 is good for Veileds and Panthers. UVI 1 for example would be about 21inches. So literally the top foot of the cage is unusable or the UVI level will be too high. We have less for our distance because the screen in between filters about 40% of the uvb. So distance is species dependent on their UVI level needs.

Then you have the basking... You would need to ensure there was absolutely no way the cham could get to it. Use a regular incandescent lower wattage bulb. Even in the cage if they grab the cage they can burn their feet.

Back
Top Bottom