building a new cage

mrcackums

I want to build my first chameleon cage. I have never done so before, and wanted to know if any of you could provide me somewhat of a shopping list?

screen is a definate i know. i am thinking the kind of mesh used on screen doors.

for the frame i am thinking pvc piping ( about 1/2 inch diameter.)

but heres what im having trouble on. what do you guys use to secure the mesh to the frame? and how to you make a door work?

Instead of using pvc piping you can make the frame out of wood. Wood will save you money because you won't have to by those connector pieces, you can just staple the screen to the wood frame making it look a lot nicer, and you can make a door out of wood much easier all you have to do is connect the door to the frame with hinges. There are many links on the internet giving you a step by step guide on how to build one. Here are a few website for you to look in to:

http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/articles/screencage.html

http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2003/oct2003/baby_caging/baby_caging.html

Good luck with your cage.

Hi, I just made a cage from pvc as well.
Like MZ, said I used plastic zip ties to attach the mesh to the pvc.
you can see my shopping list here.
You probably won't find the 3-way corner pieces at any plumbing or hardware store b/c they aren't used for plumbing, only furniture. I ordered mine off ebay, that was the best price I could find.
Good luck!

that cage looks great. today im going to go shop around at home depot see what i can come up with. I was thinking about starting off with an outside play ground for him. take some wood, glue on some driftwood, fake plants and hang some vines from it. he seems to like to roam more freely than his cage lets him.

ok got all the pieces, i went a bit far, but the cage is going to be huge.

will be about 6 feet 7 inches tall, and 2 and half feet wide but only 4 and half feet of that will be for the cage. the other 2 feet will be used to store the cricket feeder, and stuff like that.

it will be triangular shaped, so i can fit it in my corner easy. once i have pictures, i will be sure to post.

Back
Top Bottom