BSFL...

kinyonga

Chameleon Queen
"When the BSF larvae were mashed, calcium digestibility increased to 88%. The high calcium content of the larvae is the main selling point for use in reptiles and amphibians. If the calcium is poorly digestible, the larvae will still require calcium dusting or gut loading to meet the consumer's physiological requirements. Previous literature has identified that the larvae's high calcium content is due to calcium carbonate impregnated within the exoskeleton matrix (Johannsen, 1922). When the exoskeleton is disrupted, such as occurred with the mashed diet, the calcium, as well as other nutrients, become more available to the consumer. The authors' theorized that animals with an alternative feeding strategy, chewing prey versus swallowing whole (as is the case with many frog species), may cause enough disruption to the exoskeleton to improve digestibility.
Unfortunately, Dierenfeld and King also identified another potential issue for using these larvae as a main diet staple. The live larvae actually produced negative digestibilities for fiber, sodium, copper, iron, and molybdenum, indicating a loss of these body nutrients. When the larvae were mashed, these nutrients became much more bioavailable, with the exception of sodium."...
https://digitalcommons.lsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5934&context=gradschool_theses

Also..."The live larvae actually produced negative digestibilities for fiber, sodium, copper, iron, and molybdenum, indicating a loss of these body nutrients. When the larvae were mashed, these nutrients became much more bioavailable, with the exception of sodium."

My babies kind of work them over before swallowing, but the big guys just gulp them down (usually 3 or 4 at a time)..

I worry about my little ones breaking them up enough. I’ve seen the panther bite superworms in half, he’ll be fine

Interesting article! I've seen full bsfl in fresh feces before, and started sort of smearing one half before feeding them (sometimes difficult because the skin is tough). I feel bad, but at least I know they're actually being used

Since seeing how they don't digest(at all, many times), I've been very skeptical of them being all they're talked up to be. Probably of more use in products like the Arcadia insecti gold(I think that's the one) where they're already ground up in a powder among other things. The only downside is I feel it's too difficult to get chams to eat, so I used my remaining bag as a gutload.

I still like to use them, despite questionable digestion. I haven’t seen them in feces. I always dust mine so they’re still getting their Flintstones vitamins from my supplements too
I like them for the variety it’s not a roach, or a beetle larvae, or a moth larvae. I also like to pupate flies in the cham cages. They love the flies

I still like to use them, despite questionable digestion. I haven’t seen them in feces. I always dust mine so they’re still getting their Flintstones vitamins from my supplements too
I like them for the variety it’s not a roach, or a beetle larvae, or a moth larvae. I also like to pupate flies in the cham cages. They love the flies

Oh yes I absolutely agree. If my cham ate them(he even ignores the flies most of the time now) I'd offer them. Variety is almost always good IMO. I'm just not crazy about their hype as this perfect staple feeder.

Back
Top Bottom