Bought my first Panther. Nosy Faly!

Vidgee

Hey guys I finally got the Panther I've been waiting for. I got a nosy faly about 8 months old. He's big fast healthy.

I work 4 days a week 8am to 8pm. Now my mom and sister help me most the cage. However I'm not sure if mother is doing a good job or not. Or my sister for that matter. That's my number one concern. I'm thinking of maybe copping the little dropper. Is this a good idea? Would it be safe to leave it on for 12 hours that I'm gone. Do I have to worry about leakage? Getting the cage soak or whatnot. Also Im thinking I'm going to need a draining system if I were to get a dripper. Looking for some time of advice on how to go about it. My cage isn't finished. It was last minute stuff, but will renovate it tomorrow. I dnt want to keep a live plant if possible or is it necessary to have. If not I'd rather have nothing on the bottom of the cag. Should I also have a feeder cup? I hear that's one of the ways to tame them? Should I also get a mister for humidity?

Taking all or any advices. Thanks so much for the help

Here's a picture of my cage and my Cham whos unnamed at the moment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 216
You have a lot of work to do if you want to keep this guy alive. What type of lighting are you using and do you have it on a 12 hour cycle? what about supplements? Also you mentioned you did not want to put a real plant in there but it is highly recommended because it will give him coverage and help keep humidity up as well as catch water so he can drink. A mister would be recommended if you can budget one otherwise make sure to give him a heavy misting a few times a day. It's also a good idea to use a dripper so he has the option to drink anytime. I spent 4 months getting prepared and getting my cage set up measuring the temps and humidity before buying a Cham. I would read through this forum and go through old posts and do lots of research.

You have a lot of work to do if you want to keep this guy alive. What type of lighting are you using and do you have it on a 12 hour cycle? what about supplements? Also you mentioned you did not want to put a real plant in there but it is highly recommended because it will give him coverage and help keep humidity up as well as catch water so he can drink. A mister would be recommended if you can budget one otherwise make sure to give him a heavy misting a few times a day. It's also a good idea to use a dripper so he has the option to drink anytime. I spent 4 months getting prepared and getting my cage set up measuring the temps and humidity before buying a Cham. I would read through this forum and go through old posts and do lots of research.

Im using this for lighting http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Tropical-Heat-Lighting/dp/B00CYDE8IG
I'm getting everything today after work. I'll be buying the light timer, I'm using repti vit and calcium for supplement, I'm buying a plant after all at Home Depot tnyt. ( any tips on what type? Something sturdy and leafy. I dnt know any plant or their names ) I can't afford a mister so I'm buying a dripper tnyt as well.

Thank you for your input

Welcome and congratulations feel free to contact people and ask question and try not to take people telling you what your doing wrong in a negative way. There's a lot of passion on the forum.

The best thing to do for the plants is look up the approved plant list for chameleons and take it with you. Just keep in mind that most places use fertilizer so you will want to wash the plant off with soap and water and cover the soil with some rocks. You are definitely on the right track and congrats on your new guy!

Thanks very much guys. If I'm missing anything else please say so. I'll be posting my update setup by tnyt.

I thought I could get away with just using a multi-vite as well, but this is dangerous and will cause health problems. Use Rep Cal calcium (no D3, no phosphorous) at each meal, then Rep Cal with D3 and your multi-vite a couple times a month. I don't have any real plants in my enclosure, but have about 6 or 7 fake hanging plants- some silk, some plastic. Since you will be gone much of the day, you should get an ultra-sonic humidifier and put it under the cage or attach a tube to it so it can flow directly through the screen of the cage. This will make everything much easier for you! I use the Big Dripper with a large baking glass pan on the bottom of the enclosure to catch the dripping water, but just discovered the chameleon cantina and am waiting for mine in the mail. I've heard great things about it from other chameleon owners and the best part is that it's cheap! got mine for $30 including shipping. This will provide a lot more water for the chameleon and a lot less hassle for the owner. Also, for your lighting, idk how strong of a UVB light that is, but it's best to get a long strip light so that there is more coverage and also to use a mercury vapor bulb as the UVB rays from these can stretch 2-3 ft instead of 1ft like other UVB lights. This will keep your chameleon healthy and active. And yes, you will see a very noticable difference. Well anyways, these are just a few things I learned and have worked very well! Very beautiful cham btw!

@ahood - thanks for telling me that. i was about to order a zoo med dripper. i looked up the cham cantina, awesome stuff. 30$ total on amazon. cant wait to get mine.

heres some renovation i did today.

Attachments

• image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 175
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 134
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 133
  • image7.jpg
    image7.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 172
update on Khal Drogo.
new large cage for him and his previous medium cage waiting on his girlfriend to arrive. going to change lighting and going to add a reptirain maybe. cant wait.

i think my pothos is too high. so much space on the bottom and not enuff on the top, i shall fix that. but anyway im loving it. so going to be easy to clean. however its his first day in there. prolly why hes sleeping on his cantina :)

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 113
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 119
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 116
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg