Blood in Poop

shrimpmane

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? I've only had him for about a week. Panther, male, estimated 6 months old
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? About 4 times because I was rearranging his cage
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He will only eat crickets as of now. I've offered super worms and hornworms. He did eat one hornworm. I'm not sure how many crickets he eats but he has been pooping about every other day. I put about 5 in his bowl and let about 5 roam the cage all the time. I gutload the crickets with fluker's.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repicalcium with D3 once a week. Without D3 about 4 times a week. Reptivite one time a week.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Mistking goes off 4 times a day 3 minutes each time. Yes I see him drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? The poops have looked good untill now. The urate part was good and white. A tiny about of orange. He has not been tested.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I bought him from a pretty reputable local reptile shop.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen Reptibreeze 2'x2'x4'
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Zoomed 24" T5 UVB fixture and a zoomed UVA dome light.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I don't know the exact temps but my house is 75F during the day and 72F at night.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I have not measaured humidity but I know it's ok. I use the mistking and live in Florida. I also have a shower curtain covering three side of the cage to keep the mist off my wall and floor.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live hibiscus and some fake vines.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is on a 2' high table. The area is medium traffic but he's in a corner and can hide pretty well.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Florida

I went against my better judgement, listened to a pet shop employee and used coconut husks as substate (I removed it all now). In the attached picture you can see where my chameleon ate a piece with crickets and it came back out. I'm guessing that's vomit because I saw him heaving the same day. Yesterday I noticed a bit of died blood in his stool. Then I noticed some blood on his rectum. I haven't seen him eat in the past 2 days. With this info I think he may have injured himself internally vs a parasite.
Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if a vet would be able to do anything but let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200723_172228.jpg
    20200723_172228.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 20200721_171503.jpg
    20200721_171503.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 20200723_172107.jpg
    20200723_172107.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 115
Is your reptivite with D3 or without D3?

Per the blood in the stool. Keep an eye on him for sure. Make sure he does not end up with an impaction. Good that you removed everything. If you can get him to eat hornworms from your hand those will help the stool be more runny which would help if he is needing to pass the husks.
I always air on the side of caution so I would see about taking him in to a qualified reptile vet. The fact that he is not eating now would concern me.

Per your form these stand out for me.

You need a temp gauge with probe at basking. it is important to know what your basking temps are. You do not want them too hot. Typically they do well with basking level of 80-85 max.
Same for the humidity level. This is important Panthers do not need 100% humidity in the day. Looking at more of a 50-60%for daytime.
Gutload should be expanded on. The flukers does not give much at all in the way of a gutload. Mostly just hydration.
This image below will help you with gutload
and this link will help you with husbandry info for him. https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

chameleon-gutload.jpg

Is your reptivite with D3 or without D3?

Per the blood in the stool. Keep an eye on him for sure. Make sure he does not end up with an impaction. Good that you removed everything. If you can get him to eat hornworms from your hand those will help the stool be more runny which would help if he is needing to pass the husks.
I always air on the side of caution so I would see about taking him in to a qualified reptile vet. The fact that he is not eating now would concern me.

Per your form these stand out for me.

You need a temp gauge with probe at basking. it is important to know what your basking temps are. You do not want them too hot. Typically they do well with basking level of 80-85 max.
Same for the humidity level. This is important Panthers do not need 100% humidity in the day. Looking at more of a 50-60%for daytime.
Gutload should be expanded on. The flukers does not give much at all in the way of a gutload. Mostly just hydration.
This image below will help you with gutload
and this link will help you with husbandry info for him. https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/
Thank you so much. I've only given him D3 once so far because I've only had him a week. Below is the schedule I will be using from now on.
Without d3 6 times a week. Reptivite on the 7th and 21st. d3 on the 1st and 15th

Thank you so much. I've only given him D3 once so far because I've only had him a week. Below is the schedule I will be using from now on.
Without d3 6 times a week. Reptivite on the 7th and 21st. d3 on the 1st and 15th
And that would be correct if your reptivite is the without D3 version. Just double check the bottle :)

Back
Top Bottom