Black spots on face

This is my female veiled Elfie. She is around 5 months old and has just entered her first receptive period! She has been super active lately and I noticed these black marks on her face today :// any thoughts on what these could be?

thanks!

Attachments

• 6F693048-CF9A-466A-B05E-D7C7B4811745.jpeg
    6F693048-CF9A-466A-B05E-D7C7B4811745.jpeg
    434.4 KB · Views: 85
Has she been screen climbing? Specifically on the ceiling. Mine has marks like this and they are from her getting herself in a tangle on the roof and scratching herself trying to grab for a branch or screen.

Has she been screen climbing? Specifically on the ceiling. Mine has marks like this and they are from her getting herself in a tangle on the roof and scratching herself trying to grab for a branch or screen.
She has been screen climbing on the ceiling! I’m relieved it’s probably just scratches

Has she shed lately? They will get itchy and rub their little faces against things to scratch. Also, when receptive they are quite active as you’re seeing and could have scratched against something in her search for a man.

Not sure what could have dripped on her but I will keep an eye out. This photo was taken at night while she was asleep
OK—couldn't tell the night/sleeping sitch.
By dripping, I'm thinking plant juice (sap)? or possibly some kind of condensation or something that went into enclosure construction. If you're long established, forget all that—something dripping is just what it looks like to me.

Can you post a pic of the entire enclosure lights down please?

They also look like thermal burns and if you look at her elbow it has discoloration as well.

They also look like thermal burns and if you look at her elbow it has discoloration as well.
Didn't notice that, but now that you mention it (if I'm seeing the same coloration) it's on the knee too.

I’m using the zilla tropical 25 uvb bulb and the zoo med daylight bulb — I have turned down the temp on the daylight bulb now that she is receptive too.
Should I hang them?

Attachments

• 53DB98C9-B950-43EA-98DD-76BE4D3800D2.jpeg
    53DB98C9-B950-43EA-98DD-76BE4D3800D2.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 92991221-3C05-400E-8CB6-380F12FD888A.jpeg
    92991221-3C05-400E-8CB6-380F12FD888A.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 75
I’m using the zilla tropical 25 uvb bulb and the zoo med daylight bulb — I have turned down the temp on the daylight bulb now that she is receptive too.
Should I hang them?
I do not like the zilla bulbs... They do not clearly label the UVB output on these. Swap the UVB bulb for a reptisun T8 10.0 bulb... Basking branch would be approximately 7-8 inches below it. This would give her a 3-4 UVI level. This fixture should not be raised since it is a T8 with a lower output.

The heat fixture should be raised about 4 inches off the top. She is able to get too close to it.

Last edited:
I do not like the zilla bulbs... They do not clearly label the UVB output on these. Swap the UVB bulb for a reptisun T8 10.0 bulb... Basking branch would be approximately 7-8 inches below it. This would give her a 3-4 UVI level. This fixture should not be raised since it is a T8 with a lower output.

The heat fixture should be raised about 4 inches off the top. She is able to get too close to it.
Also know that the Zilla fixtures come with a clear plastic "safety cover" over the bulb- I read somewhere that the UVB can't actually penetrate through this, so I had removed it from my fixture.

Also know that the Zilla fixtures come with a clear plastic "safety cover" over the bulb- I read somewhere that the UVB can't actually penetrate through this, so I had removed it from my fixture.
Ohhhh good to know. I did not know that they did that with their fixtures. That is a big no no. UVB can not penetrate plastic or glass. Nothing solid. Screen reduces it even.

Oh and I also had replaced the bulb in it with a T8 reptisun 10.0 :)

This is my female veiled Elfie. She is around 5 months old and has just entered her first receptive period! She has been super active lately and I noticed these black marks on her face today :// any thoughts on what these could be?

thanks!
The light has been lifted and the plastic part of the slimline has been removed! Plus a picture of elfie showing off her big girl pattern

Attachments

• A89188A1-A9AF-425E-9547-F0D8E12D4549.jpeg
    A89188A1-A9AF-425E-9547-F0D8E12D4549.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 9FBE3BA5-6103-49E6-A5BE-1D269658DFF0.jpeg
    9FBE3BA5-6103-49E6-A5BE-1D269658DFF0.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom