Black spot in mouth

Any idea what this black spot is supposed to be?

Attachments

• IMG_6535.jpeg
    IMG_6535.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 35
It could be a piece of debris. Have you tried removing it? Grab a q tip with the tip moistened and see if it moves or comes off. If it doesn’t, it may be mouth rot and you’ll need a vet visit.

Hey there welcome to the forum. Looks like an abscess of some kind to me... If you look at the outside of the mouth where that spot is there is a bump developing. Could be due to the cham biting the syringe to get water. Normally they have to be pretty desperate for water to drink in this way.

But you would want to get him into a good reptile vet. The mouth is a really bad place for infection to start and can lead to mouth rot.

Hey there welcome to the forum. Looks like an abscess of some kind to me... If you look at the outside of the mouth where that spot is there is a bump developing. Could be due to the cham biting the syringe to get water. Normally they have to be pretty desperate for water to drink in this way.

But you would want to get him into a good reptile vet. The mouth is a really bad place for infection to start and can lead to mouth rot.
We are headed to a good vet on Monday. He typically just licks the syringe and rarely takes water this way as he rejects it most of the time. He tends to just drink from leafs. I try to offer hydration as much as possible. Will report back with the vets prognosis.

We are headed to a good vet on Monday. He typically just licks the syringe and rarely takes water this way as he rejects it most of the time. He tends to just drink from leafs. I try to offer hydration as much as possible. Will report back with the vets prognosis.
Adding a dripper to the cage can be really helpful. Then they can drink from the leaves when they want. Be very cautious "training" him to drink from the syringe. I have met people that have done this and then they refuse all other methods... Also make sure you avoid the airway at the front of the mouth. I have seen people aspirate a cham when doing this, meds, and force feeding.

Hopefully the vet can aspirate the spot to see what is going on. Probably will put him on oral antibiotics. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

UPDATE FROM VET VISIT: Took Carini to the vet yesterday. They took a look at the spot and were able to remove it. They thought it was either a scab from a feeder bite or just some chitin that had become lodged in his gums. The swelling was a result of the inflammation of the gums. He’s going on an antibiotic injections every three days for 10 doses. The vet and the tech said he is quite possibly the friendliest chameleon they have ever encountered.

Attachments

• IMG_6550.jpeg
    IMG_6550.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom