Black Soldier Fly Nutritional value? (NOT BSFL)

Tige21v

Avid Member
I'm sure it has been addressed here before, but I cannot seem to find the info.
While the larvae are considered good, is there any difference once they become flying adults?
I hope they are still a good source, because all of my guys go CRAZY for them.

I believe that most of the calcium is in the exoskeleton bound up as chitin. Would like to know the nutritional value also. They make great enrichment though

Oh ya!
I know what i'll be using to train them to run the 50 yard dash!
Never knew they could move so fast !
I find that when the pupate to flies i see two types some bumbling easy to catch and then occasionally the quick as a flash magnificent Bsf. Another observation some with translucent through half of tail and some with all black & white colourations. Could be my perimeters & gutloading or possibly some sexual-dimorphism.
I almost always feed off as flies recently since i started getting silkworm, note to self need to digout a calci-worm on tomorrow feed😆

Here's the nutritional analysis tables from the article @Klyde O'Scope posted
Screenshot_20210308-053451.png
Screenshot_20210308-053509.png
Screenshot_20210308-053535.png
Screenshot_20210308-053548.png

Welp, I missed that somehow. Doesn't look like the article covers that ☹️
Then I missed that. :oops: It was the first scholarly article that came up without larvae in the subject. I skimmed the abstract, but without glasses—my bad—it was right there.
However, the biology of BSF, in particular of the adult stage, has not been studied in detail.

Apologies. Even the key words were... specious.
Keywords: black soldier fly, Hermetia illucens, animal feed, nutritional value

Taking a step back and looking at the larger picture, I would have thought that in practice feeding BSFL to livestock would include all ages & stages, and nutritional content to average out—BICBW. 🤷‍♂️

I seem to recall hearing/reading that as flies they do lose some nutritional value. I could be wrong...honestly no idea. I feed the larva to my geckos and occasionally as ‘croutons’ in my beardie‘s salad. Primarily though, I use the pupated flies as treats for my chameleons. They love their flying treats and I think it provides enrichment to them.

Back
Top Bottom