Black soldier fly larvae?

Are black soldier fly larvae a good staple food for a male panther chameleon?
My chameleon is 5 months old as a note.

thanks all!

Here is a chart
1604696661026.png

What is the difference in BSFL and blue bottle spikes? I’ve read you’re not supposed to feed the blue bottle spike larva because they eat flesh and have high ammonia, but BSFL is different?

Unfortunately I didn’t learn that until after I placed my order LOL. I’ll let thempupate..

What is safe as far as larva goes?

@Beman
@Fchamel

I have only used BSFL I don't know anything about the bb spikes. But with the superworms. Just feed them every once and a while. It's is easy for your chameleon to get addicted to them. I should have posted the CF one. I did notice that about the superworms on the chart, but you shouldn't have a problem if you only feed them every so often. Sorry about that.

What is the difference in BSFL and blue bottle spikes? I’ve read you’re not supposed to feed the blue bottle spike larva because they eat flesh and have high ammonia, but BSFL is different?

Unfortunately I didn’t learn that until after I placed my order LOL. I’ll let thempupate..

What is safe as far as larva goes?

@Beman
@Fchamel
I do not feed the blue bottle spikes. They are a real fly in the way they look and are a little quicker then the Black soldier flies. I put them in the fridge in the drawer and as they pupate from their maggot form I pull those out and put them in a cup with a lid on it that I have cut a small hole out of then I put the container in the enclosure where it will not get water in it. As they turn into flies they fly out of the hole in the lid up to the top where the lights are.

They are a great free feeder like the black soldier flies are. Allows the cham to hunt more naturally and use full range of their tongue.

I do not feed the blue bottle spikes. They are a real fly in the way they look and are a little quicker then the Black soldier flies. I put them in the fridge in the drawer and as they pupate from their maggot form I pull those out and put them in a cup with a lid on it that I have cut a small hole out of then I put the container in the enclosure where it will not get water in it. As they turn into flies they fly out of the hole in the lid up to the top where the lights are.

They are a great free feeder like the black soldier flies are. Allows the cham to hunt more naturally and use full range of their tongue.
To tag onto her question, how do you feed BSFL? I cannot get my guy to even get close to his feeder. I have the magnetic one from Full throttle feeders. He didn't like my homemade milk carton one either. I put crickets on the screen and he eats them that way and I put worms on a branch. BSFL don't stay on branches. I really want to feed them and I have a TON of them. He's a shy eater so he won't eat in front of me much and definitely not from my hand or tongs.

To tag onto her question, how do you feed BSFL? I cannot get my guy to even get close to his feeder. I have the magnetic one from Full throttle feeders. He didn't like my homemade milk carton one either. I put crickets on the screen and he eats them that way and I put worms on a branch. BSFL don't stay on branches. I really want to feed them and I have a TON of them. He's a shy eater so he won't eat in front of me much and definitely not from my hand or tongs.
I toss them into the feeder run... I have a different one then you though. But I find that the runs really need to be placed appropriately. I have mine at basking level with a branch right in front so they can get close and see the movement from basking. Once they understand the feeder then I move it to where it is easier to access for me but I always start out loading it with lots of moving feeders so they get it quicker. I let my BSFL pupate mostly so that they can chase the flies around. :)

Just so you all know, IDT* the flies have the same calcium that the larvae have. Not that they aren't a great addition, but just something to be aware of.

Just so you all know, IDT* the flies have the same calcium that the larvae have. Not that they aren't a great addition, but just something to be aware of.
Yeah I kinda figured that. I am going to keep trying. I will move the feeder right over and once my roaches get here I will load that thing up with em and that should catch his interest. But if it doesn't they can pupate and he can chase them around. He enjoyed the housefly that accidently got in there with him.

After finding out the nutrition values behind the soldier flies I was excited. One of my chams tolerated them...the picky one. The non picky fat one rejected them. They didn't seem to move enough and it's almost like they have to be swallowed whole because of their squishiness. Maybe later on down the road? Mine were the same age as yours when I tried introducing them.

First time I ever saw BSFL they were wild in a friends compost bin.
They were huge, easily twice the size of the largest commercially available ones unless my memory is tricking me.

I’m still interested in an outdoor worm bin for this purposealthough I’m not sure when it will happen.

After finding out the nutrition values behind the soldier flies I was excited. One of my chams tolerated them...the picky one. The non picky fat one rejected them. They didn't seem to move enough and it's almost like they have to be swallowed whole because of their squishiness. Maybe later on down the road? Mine were the same age as yours when I tried introducing them.
If they get wet, bsfl really start moving around.

Back
Top Bottom