Black rough area on panther chameleon

VincentChameleon

Hi everyone and happy Sunday! I've recently noticed a couple of areas that are black and crusty/rough on my sweet girl's jawline. I was researching the possibility of mouth rot but I'm HIGHLY doubting this as she's experienced similar episodes in the past that subsequently resolve without intervention. I wanted to turn to this community here to brainstorm and see if we might be able to pin down what's going on before I head to the vet. Here's her scoop:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Panther, Nosy Be. Approx 1 year. I've had her since she was mere weeks old (and an inch or so long! )
  • Handling - Once a week at most. Only when she wants to come to my husband or me, which varies.
  • Feeding - Crickets daily, 6-10 depending on what she will take. Crickets get Fluker's "Orange Cube".
  • Supplements - Zoo Med ReptiCalcium w/ D3 practically every day. ReptiVite once every two weeks or so.
  • Watering - She only drinks directly from the spray bottle, wasn't interested in the "Little Dripper" I bought. She gets generous drinks 2-3 times a day. I mist the entire enclosure twice a day.
  • Fecal Description - No change. She recently laid ~20 eggs and had a HUGE poop afterward, which is standard for her. She typically poops every other day.
  • History - None of significance. However, whenever she gets ready to lay eggs, she gets VERY restless. She roams the bottom of her enclosure, wedges herself between the laying bin and the screen of the enclosure, and she sometimes roots around to try to get out of the enclosure. My initial thoughts on seeing her current problem spots were that she maybe rubbed against the enclosure during this past episode of laying eggs? She's never overly interested in her laying bin...her eggs end up on the floor of the enclosure, some in the bin, some in a plant pot with soil still in it.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screened ReptiBreeze. Very spacious...not sure of the exact dimensions, but it's the one from Zoo Med's Cham starter kit
  • Lighting - Dual lamp from the chameleon kit referenced above. We've got a 60 W daylight blue UVA from Zoo Med and 13 W 5.0 UVB Reptisun also from Zoo Med. both lights go on at about 8 AM- 8 or 9 PM.
  • Temperature - Basking is at 85. Vines nearer the floor are about 77-78. Lowest temp at night is 75. Measured with a digital thermometer from the chameleon kit.
  • Humidity - anywhere from 50-70s. Our main plant (tragically) died a few weeks back and I haven't been able to replace it yet. Humidity is primarily maintained through misting. I measure with a gauge from PetSmart.
  • Plants - None at the moment.
  • Placement - Located in our in-home office. Door remains shut so our cats and dogs don't stress her out. All room vents are shut to avoid direct drafts on her. She's not placed near a window or outside wall. Enclosure is on a desk approx 3 feet high.
  • Location - Tampa Bay Area, FL

Current Problem - Please see above. Will attach pictures!

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Hi everyone and happy Sunday! I've recently noticed a couple of areas that are black and crusty/rough on my sweet girl's jawline. I was researching the possibility of mouth rot but I'm HIGHLY doubting this as she's experienced similar episodes in the past that subsequently resolve without intervention. I wanted to turn to this community here to brainstorm and see if we might be able to pin down what's going on before I head to the vet. Here's her scoop:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Panther, Nosy Be. Approx 1 year. I've had her since she was mere weeks old (and an inch or so long! )
  • Handling - Once a week at most. Only when she wants to come to my husband or me, which varies.
  • Feeding - Crickets daily, 6-10 depending on what she will take. Crickets get Fluker's "Orange Cube".
  • Supplements - Zoo Med ReptiCalcium w/ D3 practically every day. ReptiVite once every two weeks or so.
  • Watering - She only drinks directly from the spray bottle, wasn't interested in the "Little Dripper" I bought. She gets generous drinks 2-3 times a day. I mist the entire enclosure twice a day.
  • Fecal Description - No change. She recently laid ~20 eggs and had a HUGE poop afterward, which is standard for her. She typically poops every other day.
  • History - None of significance. However, whenever she gets ready to lay eggs, she gets VERY restless. She roams the bottom of her enclosure, wedges herself between the laying bin and the screen of the enclosure, and she sometimes roots around to try to get out of the enclosure. My initial thoughts on seeing her current problem spots were that she maybe rubbed against the enclosure during this past episode of laying eggs? She's never overly interested in her laying bin...her eggs end up on the floor of the enclosure, some in the bin, some in a plant pot with soil still in it.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screened ReptiBreeze. Very spacious...not sure of the exact dimensions, but it's the one from Zoo Med's Cham starter kit
  • Lighting - Dual lamp from the chameleon kit referenced above. We've got a 60 W daylight blue UVA from Zoo Med and 13 W 5.0 UVB Reptisun also from Zoo Med. both lights go on at about 8 AM- 8 or 9 PM.
  • Temperature - Basking is at 85. Vines nearer the floor are about 77-78. Lowest temp at night is 75. Measured with a digital thermometer from the chameleon kit.
  • Humidity - anywhere from 50-70s. Our main plant (tragically) died a few weeks back and I haven't been able to replace it yet. Humidity is primarily maintained through misting. I measure with a gauge from PetSmart.
  • Plants - None at the moment.
  • Placement - Located in our in-home office. Door remains shut so our cats and dogs don't stress her out. All room vents are shut to avoid direct drafts on her. She's not placed near a window or outside wall. Enclosure is on a desk approx 3 feet high.
  • Location - Tampa Bay Area, FL

Current Problem - Please see above. Will attach pictures!
Looks like it could be a burn. See if it goes away in the next day or 2, as it could just be a stress spot.

Back
Top Bottom