Big eggs and littl eggs

M. Joseph Keesse

I have a 3 + year old veiled that recently laid her third clutch. After digging them out i noticed something odd:
20220711_065301.jpg

I wonder what's up with the little ones, is that where pygmies chameleons come from? Just kidding
Here she is right before laying
20210706_110010.jpg

And right after
20210629_092938.jpg

I can't say I've ever seen such a variety of sizes of eggs up in one clutch. In all my chameleon experience I've only seen/heard of one chameleon that was able to reabsorb eggs...I'm wondering if that might be what was happening here...only a vet might be able to tell you for sure.

You said this is her third clutch...just like @MissSkittles asked, I want to know ...How many eggs were in the last two clutches? How much specifically have you been feeding her? What has the basking temperature been? What supplements have you been using?
Also...How often for each supplement? Do they have D3 or prEformed vitamin A in them? What do you feed the insects?

Also, wondering if she laid all the eggs.

Hi and welcome! :) I have no idea why she would have those tiny eggs. Perhaps @kinyonga @jannb or @JacksJill may know. I can see that she’s laying much too large of a clutch though. How much and how often do you feed her? What are your basking temps? What supplements do you use and what is the schedule that you use them?
I feed her 15-20 crickets 2 out of every 3 days evertime with a light dusting of calcium with d3. The crickets are fed
20220711_122927.jpg

And
Also some cut apples and potatos

Her enclosure is between 68° and 78° F
Each clutch has been ~50 eggs

Attachments

• 20220711_122946.jpg
    20220711_122946.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 31
She should only be given around 3 feeders every other day to 3x a week. For gutloading, both the Fluker's and Nature Zone do nothing, I've attached a gutload sheet below, use as many ingredients as possible for the healthiest gutload (in the correct ratios, all organic)! For supplements, you should be using a phosphorus-free calcium without D3 every feeding, except for once a week, where you'll alternate between a phosphorus-free calcium with D3 and a multivitamin without D3, but with performed Vit A, so that each is used once every two weeks. How long has she been getting calcium with D3 two out of every three days?

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I've seen some tic tac sized eggs in a clutch from panthers now and then but never so many usually one or two at most. I will defer to the veiled experts on feeding schedules and temperatures to decrease clutch size.

She should only be given around 3 feeders every other day to 3x a week. For gutloading, both the Fluker's and Nature Zone do nothing, I've attached a gutload sheet below, use as many ingredients as possible for the healthiest gutload (in the correct ratios, all organic)! For supplements, you should be using a phosphorus-free calcium without D3 every feeding, except for once a week, where you'll alternate between a phosphorus-free calcium with D3 and a multivitamin without D3, but with performed Vit A, so that each is used once every two weeks. How long has she been getting calcium with D3 two out of every three days?
I've been giving her the cal with d3 as described for about 6 months, i have become confused through my research as to the frequency and the dosage and if it should be with or w/o d3. That brand is rep-cal. Previous to this (back to when i bought her) the cal supp was zoo-med w/o d3 on the same schedule
I took her to the vet a few months ago because her tongue looked dark. I brought the supplements and a sample of the three different types of plants from her enclosure along with a printout of each from Wikipedia. The vet said everything seemed fine. I told The assistant that retrieved her that i was cool with them doing a fecal float (knowing it could have been a several hundred $ test) but the vet said there was no need but as i understand it that is a necessary test to identify problems before there are visible symptoms, so my faith in him is a little suspect dispite their assurtion of extensive reptile experience
Also she is very grumpy, often hissing, snapping and turning dark when i reach past her to retrieve her feeding bin. She gets some natural light as her enclosure is near a window but i wouldn't think of trying to handle her unless mandatory like the vet visit

So it'll be the RepCal/Zoo Med calcium WITHOUT D3 at all feedings, except once per week, say Saturday. On each Saturday, you'll alternate weekly between the RepCal calcium WITH D3 and the Zoo Med Reptivite WITHOUT D3. So once every two weeks, she'll get a dose of calcium with D3 and a dose of multivitamin without D3, with calcium without D3 at all other feedings. Let me know if that makes sense!

Back
Top Bottom