Beetle ID

Hashtag ChamLife

Avid Member
So I found this little guy at work. He looked pretty cool so I decided to scoop him up. Anyone know anything about it? It was in a crepe myrtle, but that's all I know!

20191023_105336.jpg

Hopefully @SauceGandhi can ID it? You're my go to for grasshoppers!

Thanks in advance!

Your beetle is actually not a longhorn at all - it’s a weevil. Very beautiful!

“Diaprepes Root Weevil”

Diaprepes abbreviatus
Excellent, thanks. I didnt think it was a longhorn as it didnt have the "long horns"... but I didnt have a better answer!

Can my chams eat weevils? =)

Knowing where you live would go along way to identification.

I'm not good at Identification but you have excellent taste in trees! I've got well over a dozen Crepe Myrtles on my property, so colorful all summer!
You know if you click on my name it will show my location, right? Like yours says "paradis, La". Just sayin'. I live in Florida - north of "Tampa" specifically. Found the bug down in the "Riverview" area, all of which is the same general area geographically... and one of the largest counties I know of. I'm all over for work and usually there before the sun comes up... usually a good time to spot a bug.

Also, the trees aren't mine - they're all over the place down here. They're popular trees for stick bugs so I try and check the myrtles when I come across them.

It is in fact a weevil as Azchamfan and Bigsky say. Now the question is... can I feed it off.

First thought was myrtle is toxic but that’s a different myrtle I believe (creeping myrtle)!

I can’t find any reason why it couldn’t be fed off but I’m not 100% certain.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, weevils are perfectly safe to consume. Whether or not they'll be tasty is another matter; I cant recall if they have any defensive secretions. Lily threw a fit the first time she bit into a morio beetle and flung it across the enclosure!

Sorry I'm late to the party. I don't check often. Definitely a weevil, as others have said. Someone sent this to me a while back, and I thought it might be relevant here. Hope this helps!

https://conference.ifas.ufl.edu/INT...Tqi5mE6JJwx3043lP94dS_Xp9LeijN2TNLPb2SpcL0788

That's interesting... they actually have been eating the eastern lubbers. I had always wondered about toxicity vs availability, lethality etc. Like will one be fine, two make you sick, but 4 will kill a cham kind of deal. I did feed the weevil off to my cham without any issue. Now the question is will they eat a second one.

I appreciate the response... I'm always interested in the science like this.

Back
Top Bottom