Basking temp

Xemarvelous18x

I’m having a hard time getting my chameleons basking temp to 85. It got to 85 this morning and then now the closest it’s gotten is 78/80 degrees. I did just get a new 5.0 24w 22/24in bulb that I put up today as well as plastic around two sides, and some more plants

This is what the cage looks like

Attachments

• 05CB6D5C-3D9A-47BA-A23A-D21DEF06119E.jpeg
    05CB6D5C-3D9A-47BA-A23A-D21DEF06119E.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 59
Please copy the questionnaire here, and fill in answers.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

What are you using for a basking bulb? A household incandescent will work fine; an LED won't produce enough heat. If you're already using an incandescent, moving it closer (but still outside the enclosure) or upping the wattage may help.

What are you using to measure basking temperature? Dial thermometers have too high an error range; you want a digital thermometer with probe.

In your photo, what's sitting on top of the screen top that's making it sag so low? That doesn't look good; my concern is tearing, warping or otherwise permanently deforming the top screen.

If those are artificial plants & vines, they should really be replaced with living plants.

You can find a lot of good information—probably most everything to answer all your questions—in the Resources section of this site. When I first got here, I spent a couple days perusing everything in that section. Also make use of the site archives (Search function).

I'm sure other folks will be by and help with stuff I'm missing.

The light is the T5 5.0, i figured it out though with the heat. I did add another light for heat. The blue light.
The thermometer does have a probe I have two of them. One with temp and humidity and one with temp so I can see the basking temp and the lower temp.
It was the homemade dripper I had that was weighing the screen down, I did end up moving it so it would not weigh it down and to the point it’s still dripping.
I plan on getting live plants tomorrow, some pothos

Maybe it's my aging eyes; I'm not seeing a blue light. A household incandescent is still fine for basking, and the illuminated area should intersect with the UVB.

Yes, you can move the lamp further away, or angle it. Getting temps right can take some trial & error, so expect that.

Aside from the dripper, you should still be misting—both for humidity, and to provide enough moisture for your cham to clean his eyes (important for health).

Back
Top Bottom