Basking Spot

charrrmeleonn

Is this 100W Basking Spot Too Strong For My Vieiled Chamelon? Pet store recommended this one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 41
Most likely it is too hot unless you lift it up off the cage top quite a bit. I’d be afraid I’d burn my Cham with it though. The best thing to do is go to Walmart and get a pack of 60 watt halogen bulbs and use one of them but make sure they aren’t LED. You can return that thing to the pet store and get your money back.

+1.

Spots aren't good either; the abrupt temperature changes they can create can burn.
FLOOD lights are much better; their beams dissipate more gradually, creating a temperature gradient which is desired.

Best bulbs for basking lights are (in order of preference):
  1. Household incandescent bulb (not LED)
  2. Incandescent flood light (not LED and not spot light)
  3. Halogen flood light (not spot light)
A clamp light fixture works well for basking lights, as they're easily aimable.

Basking lamps are best installed/mounted at an angle to produce a temperature gradient rather than a hot-spot.
1642278351155.png

+1.

Spots aren't good either; the abrupt temperature changes they can create can burn.
FLOOD lights are much better; their beams dissipate more gradually, creating a temperature gradient which is desired.

Best bulbs for basking lights are (in order of preference):
  1. Household incandescent bulb (not LED)
  2. Incandescent flood light (not LED and not spot light)
  3. Halogen flood light (not spot light)
A clamp light fixture works well for basking lights, as they're easily aimable.

Basking lamps are best installed/mounted at an angle to produce a temperature gradient rather than a hot-spot.
Out of curiosity what is wrong with LED light bulbs? If they can achieve the temperature that your cham needs is there a problem with them?

Out of curiosity what is wrong with LED light bulbs? If they can achieve the temperature that your cham needs is there a problem with them?
That's just it—they can't. LEDs are more (too) efficient; they don't convert as much energy into heat as the other types of bulbs. And the heat that they do produce rises up—not projected outward/downward like the other types of bulbs.

Last edited:
@charrrmeleonn I get the sense that you are ignoring the other threads that @MissSkittles took her valuable time to go over your husbandry... Absolutely NOTHING the pet store told you is correct or acceptable husbandry. Please read all of the feedback on the other threads and read the entire chameleon academy husbandry section and you will understand what you need to keep your chameleon alive and prevent an early painful death.

I’d like to say Reptile bulbs in general are a waste of money not all like linear uv bulbs but basking especially you can get a pack of 4 halogen or incandescents that do the same for way cheaper at hardware stores I’d like to just say a lot of reptile products are out there in most hardware stores for cheaper of course don’t cut corners with uvb but you should experiment with cheap bulbs from lowes or Home Depot and see what gets your temps and they will overall be cheaper and last longer and if you get halogens they get way hotter while using almost half the power

People don’t think about this but your electricity bill goes pretty high with so many lights on so I like halogen floods for this to save me some cents on electricity at the end of the month while also giving some nice heat

Back
Top Bottom