basking and humidity

planning ahead :)

what’s the ideal ambient basking temperature for a male veiled chameleon?

what’s the ideal ambient humidity % for a male veiled cham?

when misting how high should the humidity spike?

i live in utah, how often should i must my chameleon?

do i need a humidifier at night?

Basking temps depend on age.... Under 5 months typically no hotter then 82. 5-9 months 85 and then you judge heat for 9months into adulthood based on your cham. Some will tell you up to 95degrees. I have never taken my basking fixture over 87 for my male Veiled. It is too hot for him and he immediately starts gaping.

Ambient humidity is 30-50%max... Better sweet spot for day time is 30ish to 40ish.

Listen to this podcast...
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/

I do use a humidifier at night for a 4 hour period on high when my house is at its coolest. I follow that podcast quite closely for my hydration cycle.

baby- around 82
Juvenile - 85
Adult- 90-95

30-40% during the day, 80-100% at night.

After misting it will probably spike to 60-70%.

I would mist for 2-4 minutes in the morning, 2-4 minutes in the evening, and then you can do a short misting during the day. You will want to have the basking light off for at least 15-30 minutes before, and then after the misting takes place.

Most likely.. I would get a decent fogger and run it for a good chunk of the night to bring the humidity up. You may also want to wrap 2-3 sides of the cage with a shower curtain to keep some humidity in as well (if you have a screen cage).

Here are some videos that will answer all of those questions plus help you understand why chams need what they do:

Back
Top Bottom