Bacteria?

Amanda1801

Hiya,

I'm just throwing this out there cos I have no idea...

Do chameleons have anything on their skin that can cause humans harm e.g. salmonella?

Just wondering because I've been ill for the last 7-10 days and the addition of a chameleon into my life is the only real change I've made! Symptoms of nausea, stomach cramps, upset stomach - but only ever in the evenings (I tend to feed Colin first thing in the morning and generally shower afterwards, and then feed him again in the evening...)

Just wondering before I do something drastic like live off of toast and water for a week to rule out a food intolerance!

Amanda

They can have salmonella, and you could have a case of it. However, an adult usually gets over it in a couple days, so if you've been sick for over a week it could be something else maybe.

Your vet can test your chameleon for salmonella and treat it, or so I've heard, so that could be something to do. But I would go to a doc to get yourself checked out first! Hope you feel better!

It's a waste of time to test your cham (or any reptile) for salmonella. They all have it! It's a normal part of their GI flora. Not all cause sickness in people, only certain strains, and some people are more predisposed to it than others. Your reptile will test positive because they all have salmonella...but you shouldn't. So if you're concerned about it you need to get yourself tested! Always wash your hands well with soap after dealing with any reptile business, even the stuff out of their cage you're not sure they had contact with.

I hope you feel better!

Hiya,

I'm just throwing this out there cos I have no idea...

Do chameleons have anything on their skin that can cause humans harm e.g. salmonella?

Just wondering because I've been ill for the last 7-10 days and the addition of a chameleon into my life is the only real change I've made! Symptoms of nausea, stomach cramps, upset stomach - but only ever in the evenings (I tend to feed Colin first thing in the morning and generally shower afterwards, and then feed him again in the evening...)

Just wondering before I do something drastic like live off of toast and water for a week to rule out a food intolerance!

Amanda
Hmmm...Are you also having sudden ice cream cravings at night?...;)

They all don't have it, but can. Normal handwashing and clean cage practices will keep you from contracting it.

Stomach issues and ice cream cravings is a different thing altogether. :)

I've taken a lot of bodies in for autopsy over the last 20 years and in all that time only one came back showing salmonella. I've been keeping chameleons and other reptiles for over 25 years and in that time I don't think anything I had could have come from one of the reptiles. (I'm rarely sick with flue-like symptoms or other things that would have indicated that.) I am careful to wash my hands, not use the kitchen or bathroom sinks, dishwasher, etc. for anything related to the reptiles, etc. though.)

Back
Top Bottom