Baby...

Hello all.

I have two jacksons. doing great.

I just got a 1-2 month old veiled cham. I have him in a open zoo med mesh habitat. I worry about him. so small. i got him the reptisun 5.0. what wattage heat bulb do i get one so small? just fruit flies? even if the fruit flies fall on the ground when i open the jar will he eat them. or do i need to dump some flies from the top and make sure they get on the leaves? thx

Hello all.

I have two jacksons. doing great.

I just got a 1-2 month old veiled cham. I have him in a open zoo med mesh habitat. I worry about him. so small. i got him the reptisun 5.0. what wattage heat bulb do i get one so small? just fruit flies? even if the fruit flies fall on the ground when i open the jar will he eat them. or do i need to dump some flies from the top and make sure they get on the leaves? thx
So I saw something Bill Strand did that I thought was really great for fruit flies... Take a piece of an egg carton. Put a small chunk of banana in it and then pour the fruit flies on it. Then set this up like in plants where baby can get to it easily. The flies stay all around the banana so they are easy for baby to get to. At this age they eat a lot...

As far as the UVB did you get a T8 fixture and bulb or T5HO fixture and bulb?

Heat for this age is pretty specific some do not provide additional heat. Others do a low wattage like 40 watt regular incandescent bulb. But this would need to be lifted up off the cage to make sure baby does not get a thermal burn from climbing the top screen.

I do not have hands on experience with babies though. @kinyonga @jannb do and may be able to give you additional feedback. It would help if you post pics of baby and the cage it is in as well.

Depending on how big baby is, depends on what baby can eat...
If baby is eating fruit flies then you can also add in sm crickets, rice beetles, mantids...if baby is around 2 months it can also eat bsfl i bet, and silks are always an option as they start off microscopic (but youll probably have to breed them cause the 'smalls' are pretty big for a baby)
Also your heat should be around 80-81 degrees. Definitely lift your uv and your heat bulb off the screen. Your baby will screen climb for another few months.

Back
Top Bottom