Baby veiled not eating enough

Taydynn

I’m a new Cham owner and I’m worried she(I’m pretty sure it’s a female) isn’t eating enough. I was feeding her crickets and she ate those but then I switched to Dubia roaches cause they’re easier to keep track of and I’m having a hard time getting her to cup feed. I’ve also included superworms to try and entice her but it doesn’t seem to be working. She’s hydrated and her droppings seem fine. She even she’d last week. It might be stress from recently moving her into a new enclosure but I’m not sure. I’ll include husbandry info and pictures below. These pics are from before she was in her new enclosure and the pic oh her very stressed is right after I placed her in the new enclosure, she did not like he new home at first haha, she has explored a lot since then though. Also the pic of her sleeping was at night and I only tuned the lights on in my room to find something, she wasn’t sleeping during the day.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled, female(I think), 6 weeks(roughly). Had for about 2 weeks.
  • Handling - Handled first day and ti put her into her new enclosure. Have handled to show her the good dish a couple times.
  • Feeding - Feeding staple of Dubia roaches, mix in super worms and mealworms sometimes, was feeding crickets but not anymore. Feed about 5 roaches with a couple worms in the morning at around 9-10 am. Gut load night before with carrots and greens.
  • Supplements - 6 days a week calcium without D3, every other 7th day of the week I switch between a multivitamin and calcium with D3.
  • Watering - Use a misting system twice a day right after and before lights turn on and off for two minute intervals. Dripper used during the day. I’ve seen my chameleon drink several times.
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown droppings, slightly wet, urate is mostly white with a tiny bit of orange. Not tested for parasites.
  • History - Recently moved to new enclosure.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen cage, 24x24x48
  • Lighting - UVB: reptisun t5 5.0 Heat: 60 watt bulb. Lights on from 7:30am-pm.
  • Temperature - Overall temp is 72-78°, basking temp is 80-85°. Lowest overnight gets to about 60°. Measured with two digital hygrometer/thermometer in separate areas of the cage.
  • Humidity - Humidity stays at about 45-60% during the day. At night it’s about 80-100%. Misting twice a day and a dripper. Two digital hygrometers measure.
  • Plants - 3 live plants including a pothos, am umbrella tree, and a large spathiphyllum. Many branches places through cage as well.
  • Placement - Located in my bedroom. Low traffic, downstairs. Top of the cage is about 6 feet from the ground.
  • Location - I’m located in Spokane, WA.

Attachments

• 234C627C-90DC-404D-9B9A-A7D1AB1BC312.jpeg
    234C627C-90DC-404D-9B9A-A7D1AB1BC312.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 99
  • A01C1259-1D8D-4878-BCFD-1DD9E9D178F7.jpeg
    A01C1259-1D8D-4878-BCFD-1DD9E9D178F7.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 101
  • AFECDF65-6F3C-4FA2-8CBE-D83B26E3AA09.jpeg
    AFECDF65-6F3C-4FA2-8CBE-D83B26E3AA09.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 321D11B8-8338-4551-8DFC-53707016DDB2.jpeg
    321D11B8-8338-4551-8DFC-53707016DDB2.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 100
  • B60FF003-79CF-4E14-AED5-519AFDCA3172.jpeg
    B60FF003-79CF-4E14-AED5-519AFDCA3172.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 100
  • CC3F2D85-F029-46EB-BFF9-41C54EA97988.jpeg
    CC3F2D85-F029-46EB-BFF9-41C54EA97988.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 5219BC6A-7EEA-4F7D-B3B5-4DF4A9FE39E9.jpeg
    5219BC6A-7EEA-4F7D-B3B5-4DF4A9FE39E9.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 104
i would not have gotten such a young chameleon were did you get it from also does its head go up in the air when it sits or basks

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled, female(I think), 6 weeks(roughly). Had for about 2 weeks.I’m not that great at aging them at that size, but I’d guess somewhere between 2-3 months old.
  • Handling - Handled first day and ti put her into her new enclosure. Have handled to show her the good dish a couple times.
  • Feeding - Feeding staple of Dubia roaches, mix in super worms and mealworms sometimes, was feeding crickets but not anymore. Feed about 5 roaches with a couple worms in the morning at around 9-10 am. How big are the feeders? If they are too big, she won’t eat them. The rule is anything larger than the space between her eyes is too big. It’s better to have feeders a bit too small. From her size I’d say nothing larger than about 1/4” crickets. At her young age, she should be getting and eating around 15+ feeders, twice a day. A bit more variety may help. Gut load night before with carrots and greens. Not all greens are created equal. Some like kale and spinach have oxalates that can bind to calcium and really shouldn’t be used.
  • Supplements - 6 days a week calcium without D3, every other 7th day of the week I switch between a multivitamin and calcium with D3. Perfect!
  • Watering - Use a misting system twice a day right after and before lights turn on and off for two minute intervals. Dripper used during the day. I’ve seen my chameleon drink several times. Perfect!
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown droppings, slightly wet, urate is mostly white with a tiny bit of orange. Not tested for parasites. As she isn’t eating, I definitely suggest a veterinary wellness visit with a fecal check for parasites.
  • History - Recently moved to new enclosure. This can cause some short term stress for a coupke of days or so.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen cage, 24x24x48 Perfect!
  • Lighting - UVB: reptisun t5 5.0 Heat: 60 watt bulb. Lights on from 7:30am-pm. Perfect again!
  • Temperature - Overall temp is 72-78°, basking temp is 80-85°. Try to keep it closer to 80 and no higher than 82. Lowest overnight gets to about 60°. Measured with two digital hygrometer/thermometer in separate areas of the cage.Yup…perfect!
  • Humidity - Humidity stays at about 45-60% during the day. At night it’s about 80-100%. Misting twice a day and a dripper. Two digital hygrometers measure. Dare I say…perfect?
  • Plants - 3 live plants including a pothos, am umbrella tree, and a large spathiphyllum. Many branches places through cage as well.
  • Placement - Located in my bedroom. Low traffic, downstairs. Top of the cage is about 6 feet from the ground. Let’s try a different word…how’s awesome?
Where do you have her feeding dish located? Ideal is to have it in the same place all the time and easily visible from basking area. If it’s on the floor, she won’t feel very safe going down for food. What happens if you leave the feeders in her dish and leave her alone? Some few chameleons are secretive about eating and with my own, I’ve found that the younger they are, the more cautious they are.
Can you post a pic of your entire enclosure?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled, female(I think), 6 weeks(roughly). Had for about 2 weeks.I’m not that great at aging them at that size, but I’d guess somewhere between 2-3 months old.
  • Feeding - Feeding staple of Dubia roaches, mix in super worms and mealworms sometimes, was feeding crickets but not anymore. Feed about 5 roaches with a couple worms in the morning at around 9-10 am. How big are the feeders? If they are too big, she won’t eat them. The rule is anything larger than the space between her eyes is too big. It’s better to have feeders a bit too small. From her size I’d say nothing larger than about 1/4” crickets. At her young age, she should be getting and eating around 15+ feeders, twice a day. A bit more variety may help. Gut load night before with carrots and greens. Not all greens are created equal. Some like kale and spinach have oxalates that can bind to calcium and really shouldn’t be used.
  • Supplements - 6 days a week calcium without D3, every other 7th day of the week I switch between a multivitamin and calcium with D3. Perfect!
  • Watering - Use a misting system twice a day right after and before lights turn on and off for two minute intervals. Dripper used during the day. I’ve seen my chameleon drink several times. Perfect!
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown droppings, slightly wet, urate is mostly white with a tiny bit of orange. Not tested for parasites. As she isn’t eating, I definitely suggest a veterinary wellness visit with a fecal check for parasites.
  • History - Recently moved to new enclosure. This can cause some short term stress for a coupke of days or so.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen cage, 24x24x48 Perfect!
  • Lighting - UVB: reptisun t5 5.0 Heat: 60 watt bulb. Lights on from 7:30am-pm. Perfect again!
  • Temperature - Overall temp is 72-78°, basking temp is 80-85°. Try to keep it closer to 80 and no higher than 82. Lowest overnight gets to about 60°. Measured with two digital hygrometer/thermometer in separate areas of the cage.Yup…perfect!
  • Humidity - Humidity stays at about 45-60% during the day. At night it’s about 80-100%. Misting twice a day and a dripper. Two digital hygrometers measure. Dare I say…perfect?
  • Placement - Located in my bedroom. Low traffic, downstairs. Top of the cage is about 6 feet from the ground. Let’s try a different word…how’s awesome?
Where do you have her feeding dish located? Ideal is to have it in the same place all the time and easily visible from basking area. If it’s on the floor, she won’t feel very safe going down for food. What happens if you leave the feeders in her dish and leave her alone? Some few chameleons are secretive about eating and with my own, I’ve found that the younger they are, the more cautious they are.
Can you post a pic of your entire enclosure?
The roaches are 1/4 inch big. She can see her dish fine from her basking spot and it’s decently high up in the cage. I’ll move the heat lamp higher up so the basking spot doesn’t get too hot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 97
Ok will do, also just got her to eat two superworms, she isn’t showing any other signs of sickness so I think it might just be the stress from moving, hopefully she’ll eat normally after a couple days
yeah mine didnt eat for a week when i got him just leave the room when there eating

The roaches are 1/4 inch big. She can see her dish fine from her basking spot and it’s decently high up in the cage. I’ll move the heat lamp higher up so the basking spot doesn’t get too hot.
It looks amazing, but did I see a peace lily in there? Those are toxic and I wouldn't recommend using them for an enclosure. Other wise the enclosure looks amazing!!

Back
Top Bottom