Baby or juvenile veiled?

JuniorC

Avid Member
Alright cham fam, starting to lean towards making my purchase from FL Chams. So now its between the baby veiled and juvenile veiled. Male obviously. So I messaged them asking the size for the juvies and they are around 6 to 7". So maybe it's just me but I feel that's a bigger size already and I want to experience my cham as a little guy and get to have him grow with me. So is the juvenile size still pretty small and would it make much of a difference if I got the baby one instead. I have the proper lighting and temps in the cage. As well as humidity % where it should be.

Have you kept chameleons before?

What, exactly, is the temperature and humidity? What lights are you using? People say "I have it set up just right" all the time around here and then we see that they were actually mistaken and things needed improvement. Please share the specifics with us.

Babies are much more fragile and prone to illness. It is always advisable to start with a juvenile or older.

What, exactly, is the temperature and humidity? What lights are you using? People say "I have it set up just right" all the time around here and then we see that they were actually mistaken and things needed improvement. Please share the specifics with us.

Babies are much more fragile and prone to illness. It is always advisable to start with a juvenile or older.

Agree! It would be an excellent idea to fill out this form to make sure you are starting out with everything correct so your new chameleon with be off to the right start.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Cage Info:
    • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
    • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
    • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
    • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
    • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
    • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
    • Location - Where are you geographically located?

baby chameleons are so much more fragile than a juvenile or adult chameleon, i think that if its your first chameleon you'd be better off with the juvenile chameleon. not to mention most breeders dont sell chameleons under 3 months.

babies are much more prone to mbd and other illnesses so its best to start a little older imo

Agree! It would be an excellent idea to fill out this form to make sure you are starting out with everything correct so your new chameleon with be off to the right start.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Cage Info:
    • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
    • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
    • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
    • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
    • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
    • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
    • Location - Where are you geographically located?
yes!!! definitely fill this out i agree 100%!!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Looking to purchase baby or juvenile male veiled
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Plan on handling little as possible after few days of giving him time to get used to his cage.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Have small dubias gutloading with carrots and oranges. Will also be using crickets and gutloading wth veggies. Plan on hornworms 1-2 times a week.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Going to follow the everyday calcium without D3 and switch off the vitamins and d3 every 2 weeks
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Homemade dripper onto pothos leaves. Mist 2-3 times a day for around 30 seconds.
  • Cage Info:
    • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Reptibreeze screen cage 16x16x30 currently shopping for a hutch to build a custom cage for when hes fully grown. (Super excited)
    • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Zoomed reptisun t5ho 12 hrs a day and plant bulb for heat
    • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Top is 80-83° bottom drops to 68-69. Lowest overnight was around 62° (live in AZ) use zoo med digital thermometer and humidity gauge. And 2 other gauges I got from Amazon to compare the numbers on 2 different readers.
    • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Levels throughout the day 40% to 55% day and from 80% to 95 % nights. Have plastic cover on back and one side to help with humidity misting 2-3 times a day
    • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? A few fake plants and a pothos and umbrella plant
    • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? One of our livings room not much traffic thru that one.
    • Location - Where are you geographically located? Mesa, Arizona

Alright cham fam, starting to lean towards making my purchase from FL Chams. So now its between the baby veiled and juvenile veiled. Male obviously. So I messaged them asking the size for the juvies and they are around 6 to 7". So maybe it's just me but I feel that's a bigger size already and I want to experience my cham as a little guy and get to have him grow with me. So is the juvenile size still pretty small and would it make much of a difference if I got the baby one instead. I have the proper lighting and temps in the cage. As well as humidity % where it should be.
Don't get a baby. You will appreciate a juvi much more. They are much easier to work with. Not as fragile, and it would be much better for you and the cham.

Speaking from experience, I started off with an adult male. Then I purchased a 2 month old from FL Chams. He was super tiny, head to tail was the length of my index finger. Taking care of him was harder for sure. Pay more for the Juvi it will be less stress lol.

Speaking from experience, I started off with an adult male. Then I purchased a 2 month old from FL Chams. He was super tiny, head to tail was the length of my index finger. Taking care of him was harder for sure. Pay more for the Juvi it will be less stress lol.
Its only getting easier
Just purchased a 4 month or so old from Fl chams as my first. I read the basics here and after 3 weeks he's doing great.
About how big was he when you got him? I'm thinking of getting the same

I've debated his age myself honestly. Their site said 3 to 4 months. But this guy will eat more crickets than you can put in front of him. Supposed to be from the Jethro bloodline

Attachments

• 20200131_185847.jpg
    20200131_185847.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 80
I've debated his age myself honestly. Their site said 3 to 4 months. But this guy will eat more crickets than you can put in front of him. Supposed to be from the Jethro bloodline
Sorry if it's too much to ask but would you mind posting a picture of the chameleon next to your hand or a common item lol I just want to get a really good idea on how big they are because I'll probably be ordering from FL Chams

Back
Top Bottom