Baby Jackson Chameleon Died, I dont know what was the cause

RobotNinja1215

My Baby Chameleon Blue Ive had for about 5 weeks just out of no where died. This morning I put fruit flies in his cage to eat but he didnt eat any of them. Then around 12 I checked on him again, all of the flies were still alive in there and saw that Blue was sleeping. Later that day I checked on him again at 5 and he was sleeping again just in a different spot so I nudged him to see if he was okay and then he fell over. I caught him before he fell off the branch and he opened his mouth really wide and coughed, it kinda looked like he was gagging or choking, but he did that 3 more times, then he bit his tongue and died. But there was something strange on him, he has red lines coming from his lower jaw to the middle side of his torso on his left side. Also on his anus it was big and puffed up and black, it looks like it was clogged basically. I dont know what happend or what was the cause everything has been consistent with feeding, humidity, spraying, etc. But nothing has changed, so Im thinking it might be a parasite or something. I wanted to see what everyone thought. Also the picture im sending is after he died Im sending the original and the pic with marks to show where the red lines were.

Attachments

• 20201122_172131.jpg
    20201122_172131.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 20201122_174009.jpg
    20201122_174009.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 139
My Baby Chameleon Blue Ive had for about 5 weeks just out of no where died. This morning I put fruit flies in his cage to eat but he didnt eat any of them. Then around 12 I checked on him again, all of the flies were still alive in there and saw that Blue was sleeping. Later that day I checked on him again at 5 and he was sleeping again just in a different spot so I nudged him to see if he was okay and then he fell over. I caught him before he fell off the branch and he opened his mouth really wide and coughed, it kinda looked like he was gagging or choking, but he did that 3 more times, then he bit his tongue and died. But there was something strange on him, he has red lines coming from his lower jaw to the middle side of his torso on his left side. Also on his anus it was big and puffed up and black, it looks like it was clogged basically. I dont know what happend or what was the cause everything has been consistent with feeding, humidity, spraying, etc. But nothing has changed, so Im thinking it might be a parasite or something. I wanted to see what everyone thought. Also the picture im sending is after he died Im sending the original and the pic with marks to show where the red lines were.
Oh, so sorry for your loss, others may chime in with some thoughts. Hard to tell without knowing history.?

I'm sorry for your loss. Jackson babies are very sensitive, any aberration in husbandry will slowly sicken them. There is a very common tendency for them to die in the 2-3 month range. No one knows the reason for sure but it may be supplements, parasites, stress, too much heat or incorrect humidity. That is why it is not considered ethical to sell them before they are 4 months old.
I don't know what the red mark is from it may just be postmortem changes. As for the rectum it is common for animals to pass stool as they die and it may not be significant.
Again I am so sorry you had to go thru this.

Thank you! Ill just see if I can get a bigger chameleon for my bigger setup and see if I can get a crested gecko with a bioactive setup.

I doubt this lies fully on you. He was likely ill, but not showing when you got him. And as @JacksJill mentioned they are already a more fragile.
It always saddens me when this happens. No mater what care you gave I am sure you intended what was best.

I hope the OP didn't think I meant it was their fault. This die off happens to even experienced breeders. The cause is still unknown.
I have a clutch that is 2 months old right now and I won't be able to relax until another month goes by.

I hope the OP didn't think I meant it was their fault. This die off happens to even experienced breeders. The cause is still unknown.
I have a clutch that is 2 months old right now and I won't be able to relax until another month goes by.

Oh sorry I did not mean it like that. From what I see, often these "babies" are coming from wild caught females that were already gravid. It is these sellers that are too blame. I have seen it a couple of times now. And as you being someone who knows, They aren't stable until 3 months, min. Yet they sell these animals that look too be far younger than 3 months.

If I ever go Jacksons, I have already decided to come to you.

Back
Top Bottom