Arcadia fixture

So I've heard about the arcadia t5 lighting and was wondering where have you guys bought your fixtures at? I saw amazon has a brand "sunblaster" fixture. Would that work fine with the arcadia lights or would I need an actual arcadia brand one as well

Hey buddy,

I ordered sandblasters after reading some of Bill’s blogs to incorporate the 6500k lighting.

I had a horrible experience with these. Not only do they not sit flush on top of the cage but they came in horrible condition. One even came without a power cord! The other had a broken light.

Not sure where you’re getting an Arcadia bulb. I think the only place I’ve found them in the states is from LLL. That is, if you’re in the states, but sounds like it to me. They also have a vivarium electronics light fixture. I ordered both from that site and ended up using them to replace an old uvb fixture I had (separate from the 6500k lighting). This particular fixture will sit on top of your cage just fine and LLL is a company I haven’t had any quarrels with.

Also, not sure where your located. I’m in Los Angeles and get my supplies from them within 2 days of ordering. Not sure if that was part of the reason you were trying to order from amazon aside from pricing.

http://www.lllreptile.com/products/...3vM4jyyDeaAKbk3kOlOZAWLla5m_JgHEaAnVJEALw_wcB

Last edited:
@JuniorC Here’s a pic for reference

Attachments

• 7D876F8C-3DFF-4455-B217-6D1FF1C022C7.jpeg
    7D876F8C-3DFF-4455-B217-6D1FF1C022C7.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 168
Hey buddy,

I ordered sandblasters after reading some of Bill’s blogs to incorporate the 6500k lighting.

I had a horrible experience with these. Not only do they not sit flush on top of the cage but they came in horrible condition. One even came without a power cord! The other had a broken light.

Not sure where you’re getting an Arcadia bulb. I think the only place I’ve found them in the states is from LLL. That is, if you’re in the states, but sounds like it to me. They also have a vivarium electronics light fixture. I ordered both from that site and ended up using them to replace an old uvb fixture I had (separate from the 6500k lighting). This particular fixture will sit on top of your cage just fine and LLL is a company I haven’t had any quarrels with.

Also, not sure where your located. I’m in Los Angeles and get my supplies from them within 2 days of ordering. Not sure if that was part of the reason you were trying to order from amazon aside from pricing.

http://www.lllreptile.com/products/...3vM4jyyDeaAKbk3kOlOZAWLla5m_JgHEaAnVJEALw_wcB

Depends where you buy them from TBH.

We're they both from the same seller? One was just missing a power cord?

Sunblaster is just another rebrand, sunblaster doesn't make the fixture. Nor does Biodude (sells the same one) nor does hydro farm for their jumpstart. I can almost guarantee, that neither will Arcadia, they will have the same fixture their logo Screen printed on, just like everyone else.

It does not sit on screen, because the reflector is not a 180 degree. If it was, which you can get them, they give less light spread. If you want one that will sit flush, there is a model that does, it's the "jumpstart" by hydro farm. There is likely others.

Again however, this isn't a good thing. The light has less spread, and more hot spotting.

As to the broken bulb, that is hardly sunblasters fault. It took me 3 times of having a 4ft Arcadia bulb shipped to me from Reptile Basics, before one wasn't broken.

That does not change the fact, that for the money, and for any money the sunblaster is a quality fixture.

Edit: yep, you just linked a "Jumpstart" style reflector. That is the exact same ballast you already had, with an inferior reflector, but it's more convenient in that form factor.

Without the reptile tax, and with free 2 shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Jump-Start-J...1?keywords=jumpstart+t5&qid=1582231910&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Depends where you buy them from TBH.

We're they both from the same seller? One was just missing a power cord?

Sunblaster is just another rebrand, sunblaster doesn't make the fixture. Nor does Biodude (sells the same one) nor does hydro farm for their jumpstart. I can almost guarantee, that neither will Arcadia, they will have the same fixture their logo Screen printed on, just like everyone else.

It does not sit on screen, because the reflector is not a 180 degree. If it was, which you can get them, they give less light spread. If you want one that will sit flush, there is a model that does, it's the "jumpstart" by hydro farm. There is likely others.

Again however, this isn't a good thing. The light has less spread, and more hot spotting.

As to the broken bulb, that is hardly sunblasters fault. It took me 3 times of having a 4ft Arcadia bulb shipped to me from Reptile Basics, before one wasn't broken.

That does not change the fact, that for the money, and for any money the sunblaster is a quality fixture.

Edit: yep, you just linked a "Jumpstart" style reflector. That is the exact same ballast you already had, with an inferior reflector, but it's more convenient in that form factor.

Without the reptile tax, and with free 2 shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Jump-Start-J...1?keywords=jumpstart+t5&qid=1582231910&sr=8-1

Hey Cyber. Thanks for your response.

I personally do not like the reflectors that aren’t 180 degrees. Suggesting to mount the fixture that has a reflector less than 180 degrees to ppl is difficult for me since a lot of ppl don’t have the capability to do so in their homes. Simply putting it on top of the cage puts stress on the bulb which seems unsafe and unstable to me.

If I understand correctly, the only reason hot spotting would be bad is due to uvb not spreading throughout the cage for plants and such? If this is the case then we just get a second fixture for a 6500k bulb right?

I’m not trying to play the blame game with who messed up the lights. I was just sayin that I had two bad experiences through amazon and have never had one with LLL to hopefully eliminate a bad experience like we’ve both had.

Yes the lights I ordered (in two orders) both came damaged or missing parts.

Also, not saying you’re wrong about everything and not looking into getting into a debate here. Just trying to get the right info for the OP and help them better understand this.

Hey Cyber. Thanks for your response.

I personally do not like the reflectors that aren’t 180 degrees. Suggesting to mount the fixture that has a reflector less than 180 degrees to ppl is difficult for me since a lot of ppl don’t have the capability to do so in their homes. Simply putting it on top of the cage puts stress on the bulb which seems unsafe and unstable to me.

Yes putting it on top of the screen, for really any of them really isn't ideal to me. However that comes back to the 180 degree reflectors as well. I still wouldn't put those on the top of the cage either.

That includes basking lights, T5s, LEDs, whatever, it should not really be sitting on your screen anyway. Thats a risk, if Mist hits that bulb it could shatter, the ventilation is not as good for the bulb, causing it to run hotter, die faster, its just all bad.

Now onward to the bold. Everyone has the capability to mount non 180 degree T5s, and any other fixtures, they have or want. The kits come with Hangers, that can be screwed in, or cable kits. Buy some steel cable kits and hang them from the ceiling?

Cant Screw into the ceiling or dont want wires hanging? Still easy build a "Canopy Substrate" or Legs. This would be as simple as some pieces of 1x2, screwed together, to make a legging that sits on top of the screen cage, or you could get more flashy and use Aluminium Angle from home depot (like 5 bucks a stick) and a 5 dollar Rivet Gun from harbor freight, and build a pretty one, that can be painted whatever color and barely be noticed. You could get even more flashy, grab some sheet metal from home depot or online while there, and build a light cover on the front and sides, paint that black and hide all the lights.

There is a million ways to mount the lights above the cage, ranging from almost free, to very expensive, hiding the lights on the top, to having black painted 1x2s. There is even TONS of commercial products for this very thing, for basking lights, T5s, LEDs, whatever.

Super, Simple, Easy, cheap way.
Light Stand.png

Thats a 1x2, cut into pieces, can be painted, or dont. Home Depot will cut it, all you have to do is screw 6 screws in (2 in each Leg, 1 in each holder). Like 5 dollars, total, 8 if you want to paint it.

Its very easy to mount the lights correctly, any one can do it I promise.

If I understand correctly, the only reason hot spotting would be bad is due to uvb not spreading throughout the cage for plants and such? If this is the case then we just get a second fixture for a 6500k bulb right?

Right, the Reflector you are using, has a lower spread, so its not going to have the same light spread, side to side, front and back, however you have it oriented. The Sunblaster has a 120 degree spread, the one you are using has like at 80 degree spread, which means it wont cover as much surface, and is more intense in the area it does cover.

I’m not trying to play the blame game with who messed up the lights. I was just sayin that I had two bad experiences through amazon and have never had one with LLL to hopefully eliminate a bad experience like we’ve both had.

Yes the lights I ordered (in two orders) both came damaged or missing parts.

Missing a Plug, was bad luck. The lights, from Amazon that are Labeled Sunblaster, vs the LLL reptiles Labeled Vivarium electronics, come from the same factory, the same supplier, they are boxed and sent out by the exact same people. They then arrive to Amazon, or LLL, or whoever for retail. Vivarium Electronics, didn't package your light, they didn't verify the contents, they paid the Chinese company who makes these, to screen print their label on for 50 cents, per light, and had them drop shipped to their retailers, just like sunblaster does.

Your bad Experience with the Plug, has nothing to do with Sunblaster, or Amazon, it was a mistake of QC on the Manufacturers part. The same Manufacture, your new light is from.

The broken light, again, that is none of their faults. That is the shipping company's fault, they will surely cover it anyway as they will get to write it off. That same thing happens, no matter who you buy from. T5s are extremely fragile, your going to get alot of Broken ones in this hobby, or any that uses T5s, it doesn't take much to shatter them, no matter how much they bubble wrap it, the glass is paper thin, if you look at it wrong it will shatter.

I didn't have a bad experience, I love reptile basics, I will continue to buy lights from them. I am not mad at them, they replaced the T5 every time, as they always do. Its not their fault, and its ALWAYS a risk with Lightbulbs, especially large extremely fragile T5s. Thats why most retail stores, have a higher markup on T5s, they lose alot of them during shipping. Same with Large Exoterra tanks, most places wont ship them, its way to risky, they are too fragile, and shipping company's literally chuck packages around like they are playing foot ball.

I worked for UPS, as a truck loader for a bit in college. My first day, I was loading boxes, very nicely one by one, and got yelled at. Told no, we do not have time for that, Throw the boxes into the truck and shove them to the back of the truck! They literally have zero care what is in your box. They have a schedule, that is all they care about.

@cyberlocc

Lmao reptile tax. I don’t know if that’s meant to be a joke but it’s quite humorous either way

Nope not a joke at all. Bunch of hobbies are like that. You pay more, when someone slaps the word reptile on it. Same with Gaming, if you see words like that the price just doubled.

Last edited:
So basically what your saying is Never judge a book by the cover it’s the inside what counts :ROFLMAO:

I’m excited though to see this because it’s just more options to choose from. Like @nightanole said We’ve come along way from coil bulb fixtures to t8s now to the t5s. It’s a good time to be a chameleon keeper.
My dual bulb fixture came as part of a complete kit from Canvas Chameleons. I'm planning to upgrade to a quad from Light Your Reptiles.
Hey buddy,

From Arizona and reason on amazon is purely for the price and easy to deal with customer service. But after reading all the information you guys are discussing on here it's all got me scratching my head lol but it all also makes clear sense to me

Sunblaster makes fixtures in every foot?

34" is an odd duck. Ive only seen 1, and its always a pain to find a bulb.

I only know of carolina custom's selling them in the usa. And im still not sure what black magic they use to hide the ballast.

You can find a lot of 34" fixtures in stock however, as long as you just want singles.

34" is an odd duck. Ive only seen 1, and its always a pain to find a bulb.

I only know of carolina custom's selling them in the usa. And im still not sure what black magic they use to hide the ballast.

You can find a lot of 34" fixtures in stock however, as long as you just want singles.

what are we talking if not fixtures I am confused??

Bulbs? https://www.1000bulbs.com/search?breadcrumbs[0]=light-bulbs&facet.multiselect=true&page=1&q=*&rows=15&son=0&sort=price+asc&start=0&filter=(category:"5942")&filter=(a_length_d_fq:[33 TO 37])&filter=(a_bulb_shape_t_fq:"T5")

Tons of bulbs.

6500k? https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/2378/FHO-39T5865ECOG.html

Fixture? Singles? I thought that was what we were talking about? A single 36 inch fixture, he said Arcadia is selling one I thought? So does sunblaster, You wanted a Dual? A quad? Im confused.

ATI got you, https://aqua-dreams.com/products/a-t-i-sunpower-t5-fixtures-24?variant=231216106

Expensive, but quality quads usually are IMO.

Want Cheaper, https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Quadruple-Aquarium-Fixture-36-Inch/dp/B00GA65VTI

I have never had issues finding anything 34", 12inch now, that is a problem area.

There is a very large section of aquariums, that are 36 long, and for that there is a very large market for 36inch t5s.

Yes putting it on top of the screen, for really any of them really isn't ideal to me. However that comes back to the 180 degree reflectors as well. I still wouldn't put those on the top of the cage either.

That includes basking lights, T5s, LEDs, whatever, it should not really be sitting on your screen anyway. Thats a risk, if Mist hits that bulb it could shatter, the ventilation is not as good for the bulb, causing it to run hotter, die faster, its just all bad.

Thanks for helping me understand why the 180's are bad in regards to ventilation and bulb life. Obviously, I did not consider that as a factor. :)

Cant Screw into the ceiling or dont want wires hanging? Still easy build a "Canopy Substrate" or Legs. This would be as simple as some pieces of 1x2, screwed together, to make a legging that sits on top of the screen cage, or you could get more flashy and use Aluminium Angle from home depot (like 5 bucks a stick) and a 5 dollar Rivet Gun from harbor freight, and build a pretty one, that can be painted whatever color and barely be noticed. You could get even more flashy, grab some sheet metal from home depot or online while there, and build a light cover on the front and sides, paint that black and hide all the lights.

There is a million ways to mount the lights above the cage, ranging from almost free, to very expensive, hiding the lights on the top, to having black painted 1x2s. There is even TONS of commercial products for this very thing, for basking lights, T5s, LEDs, whatever.

This was written well imo. My aforementioned comment about people not having the capability to hang lights in their home was more about making damages to their home. In my past experiences, and experiences of friends, making damages such as holes to a rental apartment or home is often frowned upon by the landlords and could be a potential set back.

However, you followed up with a viable solution that doesn't involve taking a drill to a ceiling. I'm all about people, like yourself, finding ways to DIY projects/solutions that don't involve damaging property. Well done. I'm going to look into this for some future set ups. Thank you!

Right, the Reflector you are using, has a lower spread, so its not going to have the same light spread, side to side, front and back, however you have it oriented. The Sunblaster has a 120 degree spread, the one you are using has like at 80 degree spread, which means it wont cover as much surface, and is more intense in the area it does cover.

Say you take the 180 reflector and raise it 6" above the enclosure. Does this help eliminate the narrow spread? Would it worth DIYing a wider reflector?

Missing a Plug, was bad luck. The lights, from Amazon that are Labeled Sunblaster, vs the LLL reptiles Labeled Vivarium electronics, come from the same factory, the same supplier, they are boxed and sent out by the exact same people. They then arrive to Amazon, or LLL, or whoever for retail. Vivarium Electronics, didn't package your light, they didn't verify the contents, they paid the Chinese company who makes these, to screen print their label on for 50 cents, per light, and had them drop shipped to their retailers, just like sunblaster does.

So essentially the same way GM makes cars for GMC, Chevrolet and Cadillac. Thank you for the insight on this part of your reply.

Thanks for helping me understand why the 180's are bad in regards to ventilation and bulb life. Obviously, I did not consider that as a factor. :)

This was written well imo. My aforementioned comment about people not having the capability to hang lights in their home was more about making damages to their home. In my past experiences, and experiences of friends, making damages such as holes to a rental apartment or home is often frowned upon by the landlords and could be a potential set back.

However, you followed up with a viable solution that doesn't involve taking a drill to a ceiling. I'm all about people, like yourself, finding ways to DIY projects/solutions that don't involve damaging property. Well done. I'm going to look into this for some future set ups. Thank you!

Say you take the 180 reflector and raise it 6" above the enclosure. Does this help eliminate the narrow spread? Would it worth DIYing a wider reflector?

So essentially the same way GM makes cars for GMC, Chevrolet and Cadillac. Thank you for the insight on this part of your reply.

Glad to be of assistance :).

Raising the fixture, would definitely help, there may still be some hot spotting, but as long as the hot spotting is acceptable levels, that should be fine.

The JumpStart is actually intended to direct, the majority of the light into a seedling tray, they want a more focused beam, for seedlings.

The standard sunblaster, is meant to disperse more sideways, if you check out there plant boxes you will see what I mean.
(Not on PC or would do a rough sketch).

Don't really need to DIY one, if you still have your old sunblasters the reflectors will snap on the jump-starts.

Kind of like that ya.

Hey buddy,

Any idea on these?

Oppolite T5 2FT/24W 2-lamp Fluorescent Ho Bulbs 6500K for Indoor Horticulture Gardening T5 Grow Lights Fixtures (2-Lamp 2FT/24W(6500K)) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJ6B3PV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JpTxEbNWTXX9J

Or

Odyssea T5 Dual 6500K Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant Extendable (24") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IFIOYJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GtTxEb66GEQVR

Back
Top Bottom