Anyone working with F. Oustaleti?

DonKeesh

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello,

Does anyone know if anyone is breeding furcifer oustaleti in the U.S. ? I know they are invasive in Florida and I know they are very common in Madagascar which makes me wonder why they aren't more commonly available captive bred. I had one in early 2000s from kammerflage before they went 100% pardalis. Very awesome species and would love to keep one again and maybe even breed them.

Thanks!

You answered your question with your question. They’re commonly imported and cheap. They’re fairly easy to acclimate but they’re rather large and “unappealing” (quotes because they’re not flashy like panthers, for example).

They lay rather large clutches, so it’d be difficult to get rid of a species that isn’t very popular. It is quite tragic, in my opinion.

Chase

I was going to ask the very same question you just asked donkeesh. I absolutely love the Oustalet's Chameleon. I'm just having trouble finding one. I know Flchams breeds them. But they are kinda pricey for an oustalet's. But then again they are CB. I've owned a couple Veileds before. But now I'm all about Oustalet's.

I was going to ask the very same question you just asked donkeesh. I absolutely love the Oustalet's Chameleon. I'm just having trouble finding one. I know Flchams breeds them. But they are kinda pricey for an oustalet's. But then again they are CB. I've owned a couple Veileds before. But now I'm all about Oustalet's.
Ya they have been out of stock on flchams for years. It seems CB might not be an option currently. I think I might have to head down to the glades and catch one haha. Anyone have info about any recent imports of oustaleti?

Thanks

LOL! It crossed my mind to hit the glades as well. But just a thought. You can check with Underground reptiles, they get WC every now and then. Me personally, Im not to fond of receiving an animal through the mail. Some make it through in great health and some don't. Good luck in finding your cham!

Just saw this post. I am currently attempting to breed oustaleti. I have a youngish ( guessing 8-10 month old) WC male, and a 1-2 year old WC female.

I keep them outside here in Southern California. Daytime temps are in the 90s some days. Nights are in the upper 60s.

I have not seen them mate yet. They have their own enclosures, but every couple days I will introduce the female into the males cage. He head bobs, she seems receptive, but nothing ever appears to happen. If the female approaches the male, he seems to get scared and flees. She is about the same size as him though, so maybe he is still too young?

The female displays pastel to lime green coloration with darker bars along the sides. At night she shows remains mostly green, but her barring changes to more of a reddish tan.

The male usually displays a rusty tan coloration all over his body.

Ya they have been out of stock on flchams for years. It seems CB might not be an option currently. I think I might have to head down to the glades and catch one haha. Anyone have info about any recent imports of oustaleti?

Thanks
I have actually been to the location near the Everglades. 3 years in a row, and we have not found anything. Pretty sure the population has been extirpated.

Just saw this post. I am currently attempting to breed oustaleti. I have a youngish ( guessing 8-10 month old) WC male, and a 1-2 year old WC female.

I keep them outside here in Southern California. Daytime temps are in the 90s some days. Nights are in the upper 60s.

I have not seen them mate yet. They have their own enclosures, but every couple days I will introduce the female into the males cage. He head bobs, she seems receptive, but nothing ever appears to happen. If the female approaches the male, he seems to get scared and flees. She is about the same size as him though, so maybe he is still too young?

The female displays pastel to lime green coloration with darker bars along the sides. At night she shows remains mostly green, but her barring changes to more of a reddish tan.

The male usually displays a rusty tan coloration all over his body.
Awesome news! Please keep us updated if any babies come available! We're your WC from the feral population in Florida or from Madagascar? Thanks.

Awesome news! Please keep us updated if any babies come available! We're your WC from the feral population in Florida or from Madagascar? Thanks.
I believe the feral population has been extirpated. My brother runs a wildlife rescue organization in Florida and I visit him once or twice a year- we routinely go out looking for wildlife, including chameleons.
the last time anyone we know of that found any wild oustalets at the avocado grove in homestead was about 3 years ago. We have personally surveyed the groves for them and came up empty the last few years. Doesn’t mean they aren’t there, we just haven’t been able to find any.
I’m friends with one of the biologists who used to survey the groves every few weeks. They went from finding 25-30 a night to none.

I assume my WC male and female are from Madagascar, at least that’s what I have been told.
I will continue my attempts to breed them. I know there are a couple of people on social media that currently have eggs in the oven. Nick at Unlimited Exotics, and I believe the other person is someone who goes by BraReptiles? (Spelling may be off).

My goal has been to get a solid captive population going, so I’m all for people breeding these guys.

Sadly I have not been able to get my male to mount the female yet. I think my husbandry is solid. I’m hoping it’s just a matter of time. It would be nice to reduce the amount of WCs coming into the US. Many of these guys don’t survive long after the hard journey to the states.

I will definitely post here when I do have some babies available. I’m not someone who does this for financial gain, so I will only consider those who have experience and intend on breeding them.

Hello,

Does anyone know if anyone is breeding furcifer oustaleti in the U.S. ? I know they are invasive in Florida and I know they are very common in Madagascar which makes me wonder why they aren't more commonly available captive bred. I had one in early 2000s from kammerflage before they went 100% pardalis. Very awesome species and would love to keep one again and maybe even breed them.

Thanks!
Depending on where you are located there is one at local vivarium spot in Berkeley, CA. It’s beautiful. I was checking it out yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom