Anyone familiar with the different editions of "Chameleons: Nature's Hidden Jewels"?

Connorology

Avid Member
Hello All,

I have been collecting high-quality out-of-print herp husbandry books lately - it seems that with the dawn of the internet comprehensive husbandry guidelines written by people with listed credentials who also cite sources to support their claims have largely gone the way of the dinosaurs, and if you want to buy any of these books from the late 2000's you need to be prepared to drop $100-500. I've seen rare ones listed for more on eBay and Amazon, though I am unclear if anyone actually buys them - I bought my copy of Rhacodactylus: The Complete Guide to their Selection and Care for $40 at a Reptile show back in the day, and now it's listed on Amazon for between $350 and $750. Which is nuts. It's a shame that these books all went out of print and most hobbyists seem priced out of access - there is good information to be gleaned from them, even if I consider some elements out-of-date.

I am attempting to locate a copy of "Chameleons: Nature's Hidden Jewels", and want the second edition. But there seem to be very few copies in circulation and they are hundreds of dollars and ship from overseas. The first edition sells more in the $100 range and there appear to be more (read: some) copies in circulation. I was wondering if anyone has both the first and second edition, and if I would be doing myself a huge disservice by buying the first edition and skipping the second? If there's tons of new text, particularly related to husbandry, in the second edition I guess I will just continue to keep an eye out.

Thank you,

Connor

@PetNcs

The second edition has been hard to find for many years. I'm not sure why or what exactly the difference is between the two versions. Maybe Petr can offer some insight.

Back
Top Bottom