Another quadricornis sexing question

Trace

Captain Awesome
Are these guys easily sexed out of the egg/egg membrane like most other Trioceros species? And if so, what would the telltale signs be? I was just over at Drew's taking a look at his recently hatched clutch of T. quadricornis quadricornis (they are cute as!) and to me there are obvious males and females but it's my understanding through reading the archives here that they are not sexable until 2 or 3+ months of age. The Necas tome and AdCham species profile also don't mention neonates except in a generalized care fashion. Am I seeing things or are hemipenal bulges, rostrals and fins visible (albeit subtle) at one or two weeks of age?

Cheers and thanks,
Trace

All I can tell you is I got a lovely boy named Jet, at the time Jet was 3 months old. Josh & Michelle were excellent as sexing the quads they had. Well six weeks late it was time to call her Jetta. She is so pretty it just isn't fair. I still call her Jet.:eek: Out of the whole clutch they sexed within a couple of weeks, I have the only sex change artist and I wouldn't trade her for any male.:D

Granted I haven't hatched them in ten years or so but I remember them having noticeable horn buds within just a few weeks. The females also had a more slight build, from what I remember. Don't think I ever checked for hemi bulges, though.

Quads

I have about 10 quad babies right now. Right out of the egg I personally can't tell. After about a month or so the males will start developing distinct patterns down the sides as well as the slightest horn buds on the nose.

what are these "distinct patterns down the sides" that I am reading about.
Ive read that males have a W pattern and females have a crescent pattern.
Im sure its not 100%. But whats YOUR way of telling?

What did this one turn out to be?

Mikey

Back
Top Bottom