Aluminum cage bottom replaced with . . .?

JimNPHX

Both my cages are all screen aluminum cages (like from lllreptile) and I would like to replace the bottoms. My thinking is that it would be nice to pull out those bottom panels and replace with some sort of grate. I then could cover the grate with screen so no feeders get out, at the same time it will allow for water drainage. (I haven't, but plan to add misters)
My only concern is I need a grate (for lack of a better word) that will support the plants I have in the cage. I do not want to let the plants rest in the tub that would catch the water.

If this makes sense, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

ll screen bottoms do not work well. Dead feeders, cricket legs, leaves, poop, urates, etc, etc get caught in the screen and it does not stay tidy easily.

Trust me- its a huge hassle.

http://www.collins-consulting.org/orchids/eggCrate.jpg

get your hands on crate like that
its easy to cut to an exact shape, and its also very easy to attach screen or anything else you need to.

cut the crate so it will rest ontop of the lip at the bottom of the cage.

you'll need to support the plastic though, slender wooden sticks, metal sheet, something,

you might want to suspend anything like plants or wood to the top or sides of cages to eliminate the need to support the plastic

i have had fantastic results using this method, cleaning is a breeze, pull it out, take it outside or in the shower, and spray it down very close to screen and it all falls away

Thank you both for the feedback. I will think about it further before I decide to do anything.

Jim

Howdy,

I just drill small (~3/16") holes in strategic drainage points as well as a few here and there in the LLLReptile enclosure bottoms for effective drainage. Set the entire enclosure on whatever you want it to drain into...

Back
Top Bottom