Alternative way of mounting branches to Dragon Strand Ledge?

Tige21v

Avid Member
Has anyone mounted their branches to their DS ledges like this? Any reason not to? I like the way they are behind the ledge instead of in the front. And the zip ties are snugged against the standoffs, not the ledge.
They're not as noticeable.
The only downside I can think of is if one were to mount some large heavy pots to the branches, the thinner branches needed to fit behind the ledges may not support the weight over time. But I will not be n mounting any pots that heavy.
Hopefully @DeremensisBlue will weigh in, if anyone would know, it would be him. :)
(And yes, I know, ditch the fake plants )
20210413_203042.jpg
20210413_203031.jpg

I suppose you could mount your branches like that, however it does put them against the screen more and there’s possibly a higher chance of them tearing it. There’s also possibly chance of slipping down. Any reason in particular that you don’t want to secure them to the front of the ledges? Just curious. :)

Mostly in an effort to squeeze a little extra usable real estate out of the enclosure. Figure the ledges can be used as part of the cross supports instead of needing to secure another branch

Has anyone mounted their branches to their DS ledges like this? Any reason not to? I like the way they are behind the ledge instead of in the front. And the zip ties are snugged against the standoffs, not the ledge.
They're not as noticeable.
The only downside I can think of is if one were to mount some large heavy pots to the branches, the thinner branches needed to fit behind the ledges may not support the weight over time. But I will not be n mounting any pots that heavy.
Hopefully @DeremensisBlue will weigh in, if anyone would know, it would be him. :)
(And yes, I know, ditch the fake plants )
View attachment 298525View attachment 298526
So, I have been looking for different ideas to add a trellis to my new DS cage bc it's a hybrid. Where did you get the black trellis?

It's plastic netting. Comes in different widths and lengths, and different hole spacing . That particular one came from Menard''s (if you have one in your area), but all of the big box stores have it, usually over near the concrete stuff.
The chams seem to appreciate it, esp as they get larger.

There is no reason not to do it this way. It does bring the branches closer to the screen so you just have to watch out for that, but this is an issue with branches that have sharp edges where smaller branches have been broken off. With the smooth branches you are using there is no problem!

There is no reason not to do it this way. It does bring the branches closer to the screen so you just have to watch out for that, but this is an issue with branches that have sharp edges where smaller branches have been broken off. With the smooth branches you are using there is no problem!
Thank you for weighing in!

Back
Top Bottom