Air plant bloom question(s)...

Hashtag ChamLife

Avid Member
I have a few air plants floating around, pardon the pun. Most of them have never flowered. One or two I bought in the flowering stage and they died out. Recently, with upgraded plant lighting, I've had some success getting them to bloom!

While kinda cool, and pretty considering the source, will they do anything or should I go ahead and prune it back as the buds start to die? I've not had one go from green plant to producing blooms before, so I assume like many plants it's a form of reproduction. That said, can I do anything while they're in bloom to create more air plants? [Thus saving me money as I tend to buy them a lot]

I'm not sure on the exact species of plant, so here are some photos:

20200129_190038.jpg

This one is the one I got in bloom. However, that bloom has started to die off (I think?) and it has sprouted the 2nd bloom since I've had it under the lights. It's a pretty good size, probably 3-4" around at its bushy portion and I'd say 6-7" from base to top of the tallest bloom.

20200129_190042.jpg

This one I've had a while and it seems to have taken a note from its friend and decided to bloom as well. Slightly smaller than the first, maybe 1" less in diameter but pretty close in height.

15803431780931446176838417408033.jpg

That's my big xenographica just cause I like to show off that I've kept it alive so long!!

As always, any info is appreciated. Thanks!

So cool! I didn’t think about this as an added bonus for great lighting. I have some air plants ready for the new enclosure, so this could get interesting. Wonder if I can be as lucky?!?

I believe air plants reproduce by making pups. Not sure if all do or just some.
Right. Some do, which is kinda what I'm asking - it *LOOKS* like that area that was in bloom is turning green (as opposed to brown and dying). Is that "bloom" area going to turn into a plant?

I know the air plants dow here in Florida that grow all over actually have a little antenna that gives off a seedling similar to a white dandelion thing and that's how they reproduce. I'm just not sure what species I have and google is all over. My local nurseries are less than helpful...

So cool! I didn’t think about this as an added bonus for great lighting. I have some air plants ready for the new enclosure, so this could get interesting. Wonder if I can be as lucky?!?
Air plants do amazing with proper lighting. The are like an orchid in that they absorb water through the humidity mostly - some absorb through their leaves and some have traditional roots. The key will be finding how close to the light source you'll have to put them. I have them at all levels and areas of my enclosures, but the ones that bloom go in the males cages as they have the best growing lights.

Air plants are great for filling in "dead space" in cages. They're so lightweight you can mount them just about anywhere to almost any surface. The medusa's are really cool, but are harder to keep alive for me as they tend to die from over watering fairly quickly.

I'd also like to say that picking up plants as a new hobby, making my own soil mixes, etc. I'd say the 2 biggest factors in plants is the water source and the light source, in that order. At first I just used "filtered tap water" and couldn't figure out why they were dying. Then I bought the 5gal jugs of water at the store and suddenly I had a green thumb. Now I have an RO system for my hobbies and a whole home filter for the other family. Tap water kills!

I have a big boi from my trip to Florida. It sent out several seed pods... not sure how they relate to the blooms you are seeing, but the pods looked like dried up versions of your first photo. Then they eventually crack open and release tons of tiny little seeds attached to what looks like a tiny feather. They very easily spread and blow around. I gathered mine up and am trying to grow some in a little dish... but I would be if they are doing well in your setup now they'll grow on their own in there if you let them!

Well air plants die after they bloom. But since they are alive atm, their DNA wants to propagate so, if all is well and the plant is healthy, they should produce several pups after they flower but before they die. The pups can be safely removed from the plant after they reach a certain size (I think at least). Many people can't even get their air plants to bloom, so the fact that yours are probably means they are healthy enough to reproduce on their own as they are

I have some that did this and figured those were in fact seeds. However, at that time, I just ended up pitching them and the plant was infested with some for of little mites so it got disposed of as well. I wouldn't even know how to germinate the seeds - maybe on a damp towel inside a baggie?

Well air plants die after they bloom. But since they are alive atm, their DNA wants to propagate so, if all is well and the plant is healthy, they should produce several pups after they flower but before they die. The pups can be safely removed from the plant after they reach a certain size (I think at least). Many people can't even get their air plants to bloom, so the fact that yours are probably means they are healthy enough to reproduce on their own as they are
Yea, I thought so too. I've made a few changes to my cham keeping "mindset" and husbandry and I think it's doing fairly well for me.

---------------

Here's my new observations in the light of day:

20200130_154802.jpg

Upon examination, it almost looks like the blooms of the plant are turning into the "leaves" of the plant. You can notice towards the middle of the blooms, the pedals have a green whip similar in style to the spikes of the plant. It's hard to really make it out as the bloom appears to be from the center of the plant. It *almost* looks like the bloom "stack" is transitioning into it's own plant. The 2nd bloom stack is also doing something similar, so it's like the plant is sprouting into 2. I don't know enough about plants to make any kind of real finding though.

20200130_154823.jpg

That's the other one. Just figured it was worthy of a photo as it looks pretty nice.

It's pretty fascinating to watch them grow. I've been monitoring a few of my older "dead" orchids spring back to life.

First one looks like a tillandsia stricta to me. You have very beautiful plants too. From my own experience and that of a few of my associates, these guys seem to make around 3 pups in their bloom, nothing too crazy and they can definitely be a good addition to your enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom