Advice on gut loading

Ghostbirb

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I’ve been trying to gut load my crickets and dubias with some fruits, veggies and stuff but they don’t ever seem to touch it when it’s in their containers. So what should I do? How long should I keep the food in their containers? Also what’s the best feeding schedule?

I keep my insect colonies well ventilated with 24/7 access to dry food. On top of that I add a small, shallow water container with material in it to prevent drowning such as paper towel, cotton ball, etc, which is changed often due to bacteria. small crickets have the most problems with getting stuck in water so I'm using a milk cap lid for those, a deli cup trimmed to a very tiny height for dubia and adult crickets. Every now and then I toss it and make a new one. I have a similar cup I put vegetables in and occasionally fruit that has been run through a food processor... about the amount they can eat in a few hours.

I've done something similar for the water dish, I have already walked in on a cricket laying eggs, and the Dubias seem to absolutely love eating, the fruit I give them disappears so quickly and the veggies are shredded :).
I have 10 female dubias arriving today, to the dismay of literally every in my house except me, my dog, my birds and Nachito lol.
I do have another question about the male Dubias. So I originally accidentally bought only males so now i have like 15 ish of them. I understand from what I've learned and been told that I would only need like 2 males for 10 females. So my question is, what in the world do I do with the extra males?

Are your dubia being kept warm? They tend to not eat and thrive if they are too cold.
Yep! They are eating like monsters lol. I got a heat lamp from the store and now have the beginnings of a big colony in my closest. Temps, the last time I checked, I believe are about 77 degrees ish

I've done something similar for the water dish, I have already walked in on a cricket laying eggs, and the Dubias seem to absolutely love eating, the fruit I give them disappears so quickly and the veggies are shredded :).
I have 10 female dubias arriving today, to the dismay of literally every in my house except me, my dog, my birds and Nachito lol.
I do have another question about the male Dubias. So I originally accidentally bought only males so now i have like 15 ish of them. I understand from what I've learned and been told that I would only need like 2 males for 10 females. So my question is, what in the world do I do with the extra males?
Can you return some of the males to the store that you got them? Maybe trade for some other type of feeder. Do you know anyone with a beardie or other animal large enough to eat them? For 10 females, I’d have about 3 males.

The only person with a I know who would have been able to take them had their bearded dragon pass away recently 😞
And I’m not sure I’m able to trade out the feeders unfortunately

Back
Top Bottom