Advice on adding plants

Hsandovaljr

Established Member
So I disinfected the new plants and repotted the plants. Do you guys add them right away once you do those steps ?
AD2B4778-533F-42C1-93B9-FA7BA6212593.jpeg

I remove as much of the original soil as I can, preferably down as close as I can to bare root. I use the hose to help remove the soil. Then turn it upside down and dunk the leafy part of the plant in a bucket of water with Dawn dish soap, gently rubbing the leaves with my fingers if I can. If the plant is such that I can’t really rub the leaves, I dunk and swirl it a few times in the bucket of soapy water. Then I rinse, rinse again and rinse even more before repotting in organic soil. I do all of this outside with the hose as I make a huge mess. Do keep in mind that being in Florida, ants and such like to get into plants, which is why I try to be so thorough.

I remove as much of the original soil as I can, preferably down as close as I can to bare root. I use the hose to help remove the soil. Then turn it upside down and dunk the leafy part of the plant in a bucket of water with Dawn dish soap, gently rubbing the leaves with my fingers if I can. If the plant is such that I can’t really rub the leaves, I dunk and swirl it a few times in the bucket of soapy water. Then I rinse, rinse again and rinse even more before repotting in organic soil. I do all of this outside with the hose as I make a huge mess. Do keep in mind that being in Florida, ants and such like to get into plants, which is why I try to be so thorough.
Wow, that is an insane amount of work. I admire your dedication. I actually just put the plants right in the enclosure as is.

Wow, that is an insane amount of work. I admire your dedication. I actually just put the plants right in the enclosure as is.
Most plants that you buy have been treated for pests or have chemical fertilizer in their soil. While you may not need to be as thorough as I am, you should still wash the leaves and repot in fresh soil. My enclosures are bioactive and the last thing I need is ants or other unwanted insects setting up house in them.

I do the same minus the dawn soap. And lots of visual inspecting for pests too.

There is definitely a spectrum of plant preparation similar to branch prep. Some people go all out... Others just give them a once over. I just try to get plants from a reputable green house and simply spray them off with water thoroughly and re-pot into "indoor" potting mix to prevent gnats. Most of the pesticide used these days are systemic anyways.

I know this is anecdotal, but I kept 3 poison dart frogs for 10 years and never sterilized plants in their enclosure. Frogs are much more vulnerable to environmental toxins than chameleons because of their skin.

Back
Top Bottom