ACCIDENTLY HURT HIM!!!

Today was Fred's first shed and I think I hurt him really badly. I put him in his money tree and took him to my bathroom so he could have a "steam" so he could shed easier. While I was about to take him back I noticed that he had a large piece of shed directly over his eyeball hanging down loosely and I tried to life it up out of his eye two times. He has never audibly hissed at me before but I think I really hurt him badly because he let out a his the second time. I've had him for a little over a month now and I'm worried he won't trust again because I've hurt him today. I didn't think that I would hurt him lifting up the skin because it was so loose over his eye and I was worried it would impair his vision or hurt his retina; I didn't injure him intentionally! His eye seems fine but I'm still worried about it. Does anyone if this would damage his eyeball?!?!

Today was Fred's first shed and I think I hurt him really badly. I put him in his money tree and took him to my bathroom so he could have a "steam" so he could shed easier. While I was about to take him back I noticed that he had a large piece of shed directly over his eyeball hanging down loosely and I tried to life it up out of his eye two times. He has never audibly hissed at me before but I think I really hurt him badly because he let out a his the second time. I've had him for a little over a month now and I'm worried he won't trust again because I've hurt him today. I didn't think that I would hurt him lifting up the skin because it was so loose over his eye and I was worried it would impair his vision or hurt his retina; I didn't injure him intentionally! His eye seems fine but I'm still worried about it. Does anyone if this would damage his eyeball?!?!
Pictures, please! Also, showers are no longer recommended for chameleons, as the chlorine and other harmful stuff irritates their eyes and such. Just let him shed naturally, and use a mister/fogger/both at night for natural hydration and raised humidity. Don’t peel off their shed either (unless it is constricting something-then do it carefully going with either an experienced keeper on here or an experienced chameleon vet’s instructions)!

I wouldn't worry about impaired vision. The shed that you pulled came from the eye turret and not the eye itself. Chameleons don't actually shed their eyes like snakes do with their eyecaps.

From anecdotal stories from others, your cham may have trouble shedding that part during the next shed as the scales may have become temporarily damaged. But this damage won't affect how your chameleon looks or his color. Also, the damage is only temporary--lasting one or two sheds until scales are recovered.

I wouldn't worry about your cham. As long as you keep bringing him food, he will start to trust you again.

Also, ditto to what @ERKleRose said, steaming your chameleon is unnecessary--especially since chams shed best when humidity is lower. As long as you keep a natural humidity cycle, with ups and downs, your cham's skin will have time to dry out and properly shed.

Pictures, please! Also, showers are no longer recommended for chameleons, as the chlorine and other harmful stuff irritates their eyes and such. Just let him shed naturally, and use a mister/fogger/both at night for natural hydration and raised humidity. Don’t peel off their shed either (unless it is constricting something-then do it carefully going with either an experienced keeper on here or an experienced chameleon vet’s instructions)!
I put his plant in a plastic bin and placed him in the front of the tub, the showerhead was all the way in the back of the tub so he did not get wet (glad he avoided the chlorine exposure). His skin has shed fairly fast and I think he's almost done, He has lingering shed on his feet, a tiny spot on his "lip", and a little bit on his tail. The eye facing the photo is the one I I lifted the shed up on but I did not rip or peel it off, I just kind of folded it back. The shed was still on his eye after I did this. It looks like it has fallen off naturally today. We got him last month so I think the shed was natural and not stress relate though it might have stressed him out to be shedding because he was climbing on his celling while shedding. I'm actually concerned that his shed happened so quickly because this morning I saw him and a few hours later his skin was coming off out of nowhere, now it's almost all gone? I read that their shed can last form 2-3 days? He's a little dark bc I think he's stressed right now but I'm going to see if it's just hunger because he usually gets 6 crickets but 2 escaped from his feeding cup so he might be hungry. He usually gets a snack around 4:00pm if he's hungry.
DSC03590.JPG
DSC03591.JPG
DSC03592.JPG
DSC03593.JPG
DSC03594.JPG

You never steam a chameleon though... That is what they are trying to tell you. Not only do you not want them breathing in hot moist air but they are dry shedders... So if anything you would make pieces stick worse.

As long as their husbandry needs are met and correct then they shed on their own just fine. we do not pull shed off because it releases on it's own. As they age they shed in sections so pulling on an area may be fully attached because it is not ready to let go. Therefor causing issues and pain. We do not do anything extra. no upping temps or humidity and no extra mistings. Stick with the basic husbandry and let them be chameleons.

Shedding quickly is normal and actually means healthy not a sign of issues.

I put his plant in a plastic bin and placed him in the front of the tub, the showerhead was all the way in the back of the tub so he did not get wet (glad he avoided the chlorine exposure). His skin has shed fairly fast and I think he's almost done, He has lingering shed on his feet, a tiny spot on his "lip", and a little bit on his tail. The eye facing the photo is the one I I lifted the shed up on but I did not rip or peel it off, I just kind of folded it back. The shed was still on his eye after I did this. It looks like it has fallen off naturally today. We got him last month so I think the shed was natural and not stress relate though it might have stressed him out to be shedding because he was climbing on his celling while shedding. I'm actually concerned that his shed happened so quickly because this morning I saw him and a few hours later his skin was coming off out of nowhere, now it's almost all gone? I read that their shed can last form 2-3 days? He's a little dark bc I think he's stressed right now but I'm going to see if it's just hunger because he usually gets 6 crickets but 2 escaped from his feeding cup so he might be hungry. He usually gets a snack around 4:00pm if he's hungry.
View attachment 289570View attachment 289571View attachment 289572View attachment 289573View attachment 289574
Even the mist from the showerhead against the wall still has the chlorine and stuff in it. Younger chameleons can shed extremely fast, it is normal (it’s when they shed really slow is the problem). How old is he? Depending on his age changes his amount of feeders and how often he gets fed. He should only be fed in the morning, no afternoon snacks, depending on his age, as well.

Even the mist from the showerhead against the wall still has the chlorine and stuff in it. Younger chameleons can shed extremely fast, it is normal (it’s when they shed really slow is the problem). How old is he? Depending on his age changes his amount of feeders and how often he gets fed. He should only be fed in the morning, no afternoon snacks, depending on his age, as well.
He was born September 1st so he's 4 and a half months old now. He gets fed 6 crickets a day at 10:00am and if I have any "snacks" I feed those at 4:00pm if there is no "snacks" like worms or something to that effect I will give 2-3 crickets.

He was born September 1st so he's 4 and a half months old now. He gets fed 6 crickets a day at 10:00am and if I have any "snacks" I feed those at 4:00pm if there is no "snacks" like worms or something to that effect I will give 2-3 crickets.
Try to feed him around half an hour after his heat bulb comes on. At that age, feed as much as he’ll eat in one sitting. If you feed him any “snacks”, make sure it’s before you pass the halfway point of how long your heat bulb stays
Edit: I personally would stop the “snacks” soon, if not now, but it’s up to you

Don‘t feed worms as staples, just added variety and treats. Though there should be no staples, just a mixed variety of healthy feeders. Make sure all feeders are properly supplemented and gutloaded, too. Have you had your husbandry reviewed before?

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 63
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 62
Note: I've previously had my husbandry review but here is an update
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male panther. 4 and 1/2 months old. In my care for 1 and 1/2 months.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Only when necessary, though offers are made on a bi-weekly basis.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? My "staple feeders" are crickets. He has gotten superworms, wax worms, and hornworms in the past. He won't be fed hornworms anymore due to their size. His breakfast is 10:00 am and he gets the fattier "treat" worms later in the day at 4:00 pm. I first started giving snacks because at first he would only eat 4 bugs a day so I would give "snacks" later so he could get his entire nutrition because he'd be hungry later the superworms would also kill crickets in the feeding cup. The gutload depends on the feeder but I give kale, apples, sweet potatoe, strawberry, orange, carrot, blackberry (if I have it) mango (if I have it) and for a dry diet almonds and pumpkin seeds. I'm going to try to introduce dubia's over crickets and see if he'll eat them because they're more nutritious and easier to care for. Next week I will either go to the pet store so he can "Sample'' the new bugs I bring home like black soldier fly larvae, silkworms, and dubias or I will just order the variety from Josh's online. Either way I'll ordering more from Josh's because my local reptile shop is really far from our house.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? He gets reptical calcium with NO D3 OR phosphorus almost every day, bee pollen every other day, and a either reptivite multivitamin or reptical calcuim WITH D3 no phosphorus alternating every sunday

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Mist one: 9:30 (5 minutes)
Mist two: 12:30 pm (4 minutes)
Mist three: 3:30 pm (4 minutes)
Mist four: 6:30 pm (5 minutes)

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He has not been tested for parasites yet but he will be going for a checkup when he reaches 6 months old

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Fred has been very bright and active lately and his cage has recently been "renovated" which did stress him and cause screen climbing on the top of the cage. Despite this he will be getting new branches and more plants in the next two months because I want to make sure his enclosure is the best it can be for him so he doesn't have to get any more renovations anytime soon.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
hybrid tall dragon strand cage 24x24x48
DSC03595.JPG

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
UVB: Arcadia T5 6% 24 watt | Heat: 75 watt house bulb

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking: 80-85| Floor: 70-75| Lowest overnight: 62?| Temperature gun and hygrometer thermometer combo

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 20-30% I create humidity with misting at then fogging at night

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
All live plants: Dracanea compacta, umbrella plants, golden pothos, money tree

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Next to my bed facing away from the TV but across from my desk

Location - Where are you geographically located? Las vegas, Nevada

Back
Top Bottom